You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo 2.0 Crashing/Closing all the time

Since I´ve upgraded to Affinity 2.0, Photo has been closing by itself many times per day... during normal use, sometimes during batch export, others when closing or opening a file... sometimes while I try to move an object. 

I´ve attached the two last crash logs generated immediately after a closing. 

OS - Windows 11

nVidia Drivers updated.

9d82fd03-3c21-4bd4-bfd6-7a9e31e4abfc.dmp 9c6998a0-4451-4806-8546-d37e536f63f5.dmp

Try...

Edit > Preferences > Performance

Turn off Hardware Acceleration (if enabled)

I believe this was turned back on by default in V2

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff
19 hours ago, raphaelbonelli said:

No news? Affinity Photo 2 is still crashing and closing a lot. :(

2 or 3 times per day. 

Hi Raphael,

I apologise for the delayed response we are currently dealing with a very high number of forum posts / emails etc. I am currently looking into your crash log in the meantime please could you tell me what it is you are typically doing when the app crashes? If you go into the apps preferences under performance what is the renderer dropdown set to?

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

2 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Raphael,

I apologise for the delayed response we are currently dealing with a very high number of forum posts / emails etc. I am currently looking into your crash log in the meantime please could you tell me what it is you are typically doing when the app crashes? If you go into the apps preferences under performance what is the renderer dropdown set to?

Hi! Thanks for the answer!

About the Preferences, right now Hardware Acceleration is OFF, Processor ir "Default (NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti) and Retina Render is "Auto (Better)".

Sometimes the crashes feel totally random... but most of the times is right after (or during) saving file, closing file, exporting or doing a batch export. 

• Staff

Unfortunately I couldn't get much from your crash log at this point in time. I've asked a member of our QA team to have a look at it with me however they will be finishing in the next hour so I might not have more info for you until tomorrow.

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 hour ago, Callum said:

Please could you tell me if you are using a Windows insider build?

Yes... I've joined the insider program when trying to solve that Font problem with Affinity 1, sometime ago.

I've already canceled the insider program on my Windows, but that will only happen in the next update... I´m still in the 22623.1028 ni insider build until then.

I'm on Windows Insider too and I've just been working in Designer and Photo for the last three or four hours and I never had a crash, or any problem. So I'm not sure the Insider version has something to do with those crashes...

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

I was able to open and close your file without any crashing.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

• 2 weeks later...

A quick look at your dmp file, shows that the error seems to be related to your graphic display driver. 

I see that you've updated them but I would delete them completely. Use the drivers removing tool mentioned somewhere on the forum and then reinstall from scratch.

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

9 minutes ago, AlainP said:

A quick look at your dmp file, shows that the error seems to be related to your graphic display driver. 

I see that you've updated them but I would delete them completely. Use the drivers removing tool mentioned somewhere on the forum and then reinstall from scratch.

Thanks. I´ll try that.

There ir any advantage in using the Driver Studio instead of the default Gamer Driver?

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I encounter the same problems. It's really hard to work properly on AP2, I am losing so much time while editing.
When AP2 freeze or is really slow (for example: brush strokes significant delays), the selected tool remain blocked, i'm unable to select another layer or anything else on the tool bar, shortcuts doesn't respond either.
I have to go on an another app or software and come back to AP2 in order to be able to select another layer or make the shortcuts responsive again.

When this trick is not working AP2 become completely unresponsive and I have to force close it.
Laptop Configuration: Zbook Studio X360; i9-8950HK CPU 2.90GHz; 32BG RAM; GPU Nvidia Quadro P2000 4Gb ram.

Hardware acceleration on/off does nothing on crashing problems, but with it off AP2 is noticeably slower.

Hope there will be a viable solution.
Regards

2047bede-6c2d-425d-a764-1446132ccf66.dmp

Which settings do you have in Preferences/performance and preferences/tools, @Manua  ?

I had some app lag, and some serious issues with brush lag until I disabled Open CL, (but left my nvidia card, not warp) but also set Windows INK in input method in preferences/tools  but as well at my Wacom's panel (through windows control panel),  in the app's profile for Photo (or etc), -btw, how to do that, here - in the "projection" tab. Also, I had issues with .net (repaired), SFC and DISM found some corrupted system files (fixed by them), and did not get totally smooth brush work until used a tool to uninstall my nvidia drivers, and installed the most recent Studio ones. Left GeForce Experience to auto update the drivers, but being nvidia Studio drivers, that is not frequent, thankfully.

Currently my brushes go as fast as in clip studio. Some eventual freeze (but it recovers after some seconds, no app swap needed) occur when I am editing the brushes settings, specifically in the brush's pressure curve setting, while handling those nodes, usually when I "fail", and click outside the actual node, in the dynamics tab of the brush configuration (that window which you get when double clicking on any brush on the list; the changes  there get saved for ever in the brush, unlike when you change them in the toolbar) . But knowing that, I change the pressure curves with my mouse. It does not happen anywhere else in any affinity app any more. So, kind of all what I applied (above) works outstandingly for painting fluidly. I've told these settings and actions to some other people with brush/app lag and it has solved it. But who knows.

Edit: Besides the needed (for fluid painting) open cl off and activating both windows ink in wacom panel and affinity, I'd really use certain tool to fully uninstall your nvidia drivers, and be sure to download the latest graphic driver for your specific Quadro graphic card. I'd restart the system before installing the new drivers. Nvidia drivers full uninstall tool https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Edit: Important, @Manua If my memory does not fail me, you do need to choose Studio drivers (also, supposedly more stable) with a quadro card,  now that you are going to download them. The laptop vendor might have installed the game ready ones. I use the studio drivers with a 3060, both in a laptop and  a desktop, it all goes pretty well for painting.

The brushes surely won't go fully fluid until the open cl is off and the windows ink is set in wacom panel and affinity prefs, but I've seen the dump, and strongly suspect the driver (uninstalling with that tool) re-install is needed.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

Hi @SrPx,
Thank you so much for your answer.
Did absolutely everything you mentioned.
I tried your settings (Open CL OFF, Windows ink ON in preferences and in wacom app, clean uninstall of GPU driver, installed new one) unfortunately it makes everything really slow and unusable when open cl is off. Btw it's worth mentioning that when AP2 is set on windows ink, the ability to change the flow while right clicking with the wacom pen is disabled (wacom intuos 4 with 6.3.38-2 driver). It's really annoying since I use it often in my workflow.

So the software is still freezing and crashing no matter what I do.
If I choose to disable open cl the software is so slow I can't use it and if I let it on it crashes 5-6 times a day.
Is there any affinity staff member who can tell me what's going on with AP2 and my computer ?

Regards,

34477262-1d29-4fad-9c01-790f5374309e.dmp

@Manua Actually, yesterday I myself started to have a minor glitch with Windows Ink. Didn't know it was it, but the glitch was a flashing little square suspiciously similar to certain feedback label that pops when pen & ink features are on. I have that and the service always disabled, as is incredibly annoying while I paint or work on anything graphic (ie, "alt" label appearing on the middle (or the circles appearing everywhere you click, etc) of the screen every time I push alt key. We owe that to our dear MS). So, I suspected that it was triggering those labels for an instant every now and then (I'm constantly picking color while painting). Disabled Windows Ink in both Affinity and Wacom, and instead used "High Precision" in Affinity preferences (as "low" I know produces low quality selections among other things), and then the glitch of  the  black square disappeared. Turns out it works perfectly with "High Precision", now. In the past, but was several updates ago, I believe I saw an improvement of brush performance switching to Windows Ink, but as there have been several updates since then... And might be just my perception or placebo effect, but did seem to me that High Precision is slightly faster than Windows Ink. Thing is, the 4 things that drastically improved my brush  performance, are now reduced to 3 : - Open CL off, the latest software updates to both Affinity 1.x and 2.x apps (they were definitely was slower years ago), and having a 3060 instead of the 1650 graphics card (and 12GB vs 4gb, though maybe that does not affect much) I used before with Affinity. I noticed the difference with each of this, but I assumed Windows Ink was still another positive factor. So, apologies.

When you say, 'it makes all super slow' with Open CL off... you are only un-ticking that checkbox, right? You need to leave your Nvidia Quadro P2000 as the renderer, not Warp (but Warp is a good way to eliminate the factor of the graphics card as a problem, to realize if it's other problem. If I understood it well). As it's software rendering only (and really slow).

The fact is that not only I did not notice an slow down in my usual stuff to do as a painter, when setting Open CL off, but I even noticed all snappier with it off.

When you say, "makes everything super slow", what specifically gets slower ? The brushes, the menus, some filters? Also, for me it is always slow to paint with any live filter on, even if it is applied to another layer.  I disable or rasterize those, and paint with very few layers. Still, allows  me to paint with four to 10 layers (haven't tested more) in 7000x5000 px canvases (for print and stuff) with Adobe RGB color profile and images in 16bits color mode, brushes of 500 pixels very fluid. All that with Open CL off, very fluid. So, yep, there's some sort of conflict in your system with Affinity (or, some issue in the system itself, that only is detected by Affinity, as it's kindda more picky with a system or driver issue than other apps).

I have not tested if I can change the flow with Windows Ink, as I leave the flow fixed value and specific flow response to pressure in all my brushes (indeed, I only change  the brush size, and with the Wacom Intuos 4 XL's physical tablet disc/ring, as it's very fast and keeps me in the zone). So, imo just change it to 'High Precision' and sorry for the confusion. 

They will reach to your case, but it might take a while. But two things: They need to study one case per thread, that's the workflow, so, if you want to have more chances in being seen, I would advice to start a new thread with one small paragraph and your most recent crash report file. The other thing is that they are currently overbooked by fixing bugs and working at full throttle on the Affinity apps (and as you know, small staff, they can only attend stuff as they can humanly can). But  yep, imo, make a new thread with the crash report file attached.

And sorry about the confusion about Windows Ink, but I was wrong about my own setups, actually, you can and maybe should set up "high precision" instead.

Also, sharing your Preferences/Performance, and Preferences/tools , Preference/Interface, Preference/general screenshots could be helpful for them to see if there's sth off or anything.

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

14 hours ago, SrPx said:

When you say, 'it makes all super slow' with Open CL off... you are only un-ticking that checkbox, right? You need to leave your Nvidia Quadro P2000 as the renderer, not Warp (but Warp is a good way to eliminate the factor of the graphics card as a problem, to realize if it's other problem. If I understood it well). As it's software rendering only (and really slow).

Yes, I kept the Quadro P2000 as the renderer.

14 hours ago, SrPx said:

The fact is that not only I did not notice an slow down in my usual stuff to do as a painter, when setting Open CL off, but I even noticed all snappier with it off.

When you say, "makes everything super slow", what specifically gets slower ? The brushes, the menus, some filters? Also, for me it is always slow to paint with any live filter on, even if it is applied to another layer.  I disable or rasterize those, and paint with very few layers. Still, allows  me to paint with four to 10 layers (haven't tested more) in 7000x5000 px canvases (for print and stuff) with Adobe RGB color profile and images in 16bits color mode, brushes of 500 pixels very fluid. All that with Open CL off, very fluid. So, yep, there's some sort of conflict in your system with Affinity (or, some issue in the system itself, that only is detected by Affinity, as it's kindda more picky with a system or driver issue than other apps).

With Open CL OFF it is responsive at the beginning but become buggy and slow when editing panoramas (100mpix and more), pictures with more than five or six layers, or when doing frequency separation and using the mixer brush. The brushes, toggling the visibility of layers, switching to another tool become slower.
But the most annoying issues are the freezes, it's like a sleep behavior, where the mouse pointer stay with the brush preview when I'm trying to select another layer, tool, or the assistant robot icon. Going in another app to come back in AP2 seem to wake it up, but frequently it become completely unresponsive and I have to force close it.

But maybe I have just found a solution, I disabled Windows Ink in wacom app and it looks like it make a difference in the software. Can't be sure yet because I'm just trying with few layers, I have to try it in a real case scenario. Settings are: Windows Ink in wacom app untick; Pref/Performance Quadro P2000 as the renderer, retina on auto, Open CL Off; Pref/Tools "High precision". I will investigate further the software with these settings, if it's working like a charm I will know there is a conflict with Windows Ink in wacom software.

14 hours ago, SrPx said:

They will reach to your case, but it might take a while. But two things: They need to study one case per thread, that's the workflow, so, if you want to have more chances in being seen, I would advice to start a new thread with one small paragraph and your most recent crash report file. The other thing is that they are currently overbooked by fixing bugs and working at full throttle on the Affinity apps (and as you know, small staff, they can only attend stuff as they can humanly can). But  yep, imo, make a new thread with the crash report file attached.

Thanks for this information. If the new settings are not working well I will open a new thread.
Thanks again @SrPx for your help.

Yes, I think those settings are good for the case; I was going to suggest those to be confirmed that are the final ones. 100mp , if I am not mistaken, is about a 11.000 x 9.000 px canvas.Which is something my PC can handle well (in other matters, I don't do photography)  but with 32GB RAM (which is the memory you also have, the CPU is quite older, and a laptop version, but hopefully that's not the bottleneck). But painting (what I mostly do) is a relatively low impact operation. I'm sure many filters and photography related operations can put the things to the limit. In the sense that some operations require a ton of processing while others are pretty light. Unless you were doing the exact same operations with same canvas sizes in v1 without lag. Then there'd be a problem.

Also, it's a personal theory that I have never been able to confirm, but in other apps setting a too high number of undos, that eats memory (even more, in the past here having the history window open even would introduce slight lag, but that's probably a fixed bug now). Maybe is totally unrelated, but I set it to like 70 as maximum (also as rarely I will need more than even 30, saving different versions is a better workflow for me). Instead of the 1024 undos that come as default.

One detail: For me, live filters and other special layers that require heavy processing, or the refining brush, etc, that was typically something that could make the entire app go slow in a large canvas size. When I need speed (ie, for painting), I tend to flatten (rasterize) all what I can and simplify the document.