You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Wrong black values while exporting to CMYK

5 hours ago, Pbj said:

And after export the text has yet another colour. Yay:

image.png.a46bc4727db0ba173c4480d41dab1544.png

This is next level confusing for me, as I'm quite new to this. Did I overlook something in your advices?😶

You seem to be using Color Picker tool of Power Toys. Please note that similarly as Color Picker on macOS, this tool shows colors in display profile and gamut so you cannot use this in context of color managed apps. The picker tools should be able to use color profiles to be able to show color managed values.

2 hours ago, Pbj said:

I am not using a preset. These are my export options:

That's your custom preset then. :) 
PDF/X-4 is generally fine, usually I'm also using a slightly modified custom preset.

BUT:

You should start again from the default PDF/X-4 preset and modify only those parameters that need to be modified, like adding Anschnitt, Druckmarken, usw.

You should keep color space and ICC "wie Dokument" and fix all incorrect colors in the document itself first, object by object. Yes, it's a p.i.t.a.

2 hours ago, Pbj said:

I checked assign in the colour settings of the document

This setting is very confusing indeed. If you've initially checked "Umwandeln", then all existing colors were already recalculated. If you have "played" with the color space again, they may have been recalculated yet again. Checking "Zuweisen" later doesn't revert anything, it just stops creating further mess. It took me quite a while until I understood the confusing concept behind this, especially since the setting always defaults to "Convert"!

2 hours ago, Pbj said:

I even created a new text element with the desired color profile set to test the outcome

A new text object will usually use your "defaults" for this type of object. https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/objectDefaults.html
This is also quite a confusing concept within the Affinity universe. It has its "internal logic", but for me it also needed time to understand what it does and when. (And I'm still not sure about it, haha…)

Also a factor might be the Color panel lock which – when enabled – remembers the color mode with which the object was originally created. If you want an object to forget that it was born under the RGB bode, unlock the Color panel while adjusting black to CMYK 0-0-0-100.

A lot of these concepts are rather counterintuitive. (Not that they are necessarily intuitive in the "other" pro apps that we so love to hate though.)

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

On 11/25/2022 at 12:30 PM, loukash said:

That's your custom preset then. :) 
PDF/X-4 is generally fine, usually I'm also using a slightly modified custom preset.

BUT:

You should start again from the default PDF/X-4 preset and modify only those parameters that need to be modified, like adding Anschnitt, Druckmarken, usw.

You should keep color space and ICC "wie Dokument" and fix all incorrect colors in the document itself first, object by object. Yes, it's a p.i.t.a.

This setting is very confusing indeed. If you've initially checked "Umwandeln", then all existing colors were already recalculated. If you have "played" with the color space again, they may have been recalculated yet again. Checking "Zuweisen" later doesn't revert anything, it just stops creating further mess. It took me quite a while until I understood the confusing concept behind this, especially since the setting always defaults to "Convert"!

A new text object will usually use your "defaults" for this type of object. https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/pages/ObjectControl/objectDefaults.html
This is also quite a confusing concept within the Affinity universe. It has its "internal logic", but for me it also needed time to understand what it does and when. (And I'm still not sure about it, haha…)

Also a factor might be the Color panel lock which – when enabled – remembers the color mode with which the object was originally created. If you want an object to forget that it was born under the RGB bode, unlock the Color panel while adjusting black to CMYK 0-0-0-100.

A lot of these concepts are rather counterintuitive. (Not that they are necessarily intuitive in the "other" pro apps that we so love to hate though.)

On 11/25/2022 at 11:36 AM, lacerto said:

You seem to be using Color Picker tool of Power Toys. Please note that similarly as Color Picker on macOS, this tool shows colors in display profile and gamut so you cannot use this in context of color managed apps. The picker tools should be able to use color profiles to be able to show color managed values.

Thanks again, guys, for helping me out. With the help of your input I finally managed to get it to work. I think it was a combination of fixing the font colors like loukash said and using a proper color picking tool (I really didn't expect the PowerTool Color Picker could be the culprit here. This could have saved me a lot of time 😅). My Font is now 0,0,0,96 and that's wonderful! I'm still not quite sure at wich point things went for the better, but I have my export and therefore i wont touch the layout again.

One thing I know for sure: I will ask the printer for the print specifications beforehand and will build the layout based on that. This sure will spare me some trouble.

All the best to you guys and genuine thanks for your amazing help.