You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Photo V2

I had a macro set up on V1 that used the HSL adjustment level in an image to line drawing process. It worked by 'desaturating' the image to black and white. It no longer does that but leaves it with a 'greenish' tinge. 

What has changed about this please? And based on the following what can I do to replace that step?

My process was to take an image, duplicate it, add the HSL adjustment layer to the duplicate and desaturate it. Then I changed the blend mode on the image to Color dodge, inverted it and then added a live filter layer and a Gaussian blur which when adjusted changed the image to a line drawing - not perfect, but good enough. Now the 'line drawing' is in color instead of grayscale.

Can you upload the macro?

Need to confirm the problem before analysing it

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Unfortunately not - it didn't transfer across and I had to delete V1 of Photo to make room on my SSD. I have a video showing exactly what I did on my YT channel if that helps? It is less about the macro and more about the process.

Video is here 

Relevant part starts at 5:26 ish for a couple of minutes. It is the HSL choice that no longer works the same.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Sylverzone,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 11/23/2022 at 6:32 PM, Sylverzone said:

It worked by 'desaturating' the image to black and white. It no longer does that but leaves it with a 'greenish' tinge. 

I have tested the above workflow in Affinity Photo 2.0.4 and this has worked as expected for me, the image becomes B&W after adding the HSL layer and adjusting, then when inverting the duplicated pixel layer my image becomes white and does not leave behind colour as you've described.

Can you please re-test this in the latest update for me, and if this is still occurring can you please attach a copy of your .afphoto file here that shows this, such that I can investigate this further?

Many thanks in advance!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

On 11/25/2022 at 8:07 AM, Sylverzone said:

It doesn't happen at the HSL stage - it happens when I change the blend mode (the next step) to Color Dodge ... see below ... where it used to stay as B/W

Is your HSL adjustment layer above the other layers? Not nested but at the top of the all the layers.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.