You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OpenCL compute acceleration

I used to have a problem in V01 with freezing while this feature was enabled. At first, in V02 it seemed stable... but yesterday I had problems while using the perspective live filter (pc would slow down considerably, and I had to force close Affinity)

Disabling the OpenCL compute acceleration seemed to fix the problem.

Anyone else still having problems with the OpenCL feature? I guess hardware acceleration will differ depending on graphics cards

Windows 10 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, B550M Aorus Elite MB, 48GB RAM, MSI Ventus RTX2060 6GB

On my Windows 11 Acer laptop I had to disable OpenCL. I was getting video subsystem crashes that left the entire computer in a non-interactive state (as a result of accidentally making too many adjustments, too quickly). Same thing happened with darktable, so it might be my drivers (whatever / wherever they are) instead of purely Affinity apps. But turning OpenCL off has so far resulted in no crashes.

Len
Affinity Photo 2 | QCAD 3 | FastStone | SpyderX Pro | FOSS:  ART darktable  XnView  RawTherapee  Inkscape  G'MIC  LibreOffice
Windows 11 on a 16 GB, Ryzen 5700 8-core laptop with a cheesy little embedded AMD GPU

Canon T8i / 850D | Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM | Canon EF 70-200mm F4 L USM | Rikenon P 50mm f/1.7 | K&F Concept Nano-X filters
...desperately looking for landscapes in Nolandscapeland        https://www.flickr.com/photos/14015058@N07/

For me only one APh app hang so far with V2. V1 always hang after a few operations.

Nvidia RTX 2070, Intel i7 notebook. Driver version 517.48 Studio.

It happened with "protect transparency" enabled in a brush and after a few brush strokes.

Beside of that APh V2 is fast and stable for me so far.

One detail regarding the drivers.

Every nvidia driver between 517.48 and 526.98 has opencl issues confirmed by nvidia. I don't know If those issues are relevant for Affinity, but crashes of an opencl function in another product have been reported in high numbers.

@cgidesign

As per my signature I run a GTX card, with the latest (526.98) Game-ready driver.  I never play any games on my PC but, following the advice of the manufacturer of the video editing software I use quite extensively, I have been using that driver type for several months (since I originally bought and installed the GPU) and have never experienced any OpenCL problems.

Is it worth you trying the game-ready driver?

Win 10 Pro, i7 6700K, 32Gb RAM, NVidia GTX1660 Ti and Intel HD530 Graphics

Long-time user of Serif products, chiefly PagePlus and PhotoPlus, but also WebPlus, CraftArtistProfessional and DrawPlus.  Delighted to be using Affinity Designer, Photo, and now Publisher, version 1 and now version 2.

iPad Pro (12.9") (iOS 17.4) running Affinity Photo and Designer version 1 and all three version 2 apps.

Was using a 2080ti with Studio Drivers and I was hoping this issue was handled with the update. It really made a difference in a large file I was working on.

I will test game ready drivers, but I guess this will differ a lot depending on what hardware you are running

Windows 10 Pro, AMD Ryzen 7 3700X, B550M Aorus Elite MB, 48GB RAM, MSI Ventus RTX2060 6GB

I didn't have any crashes, but the latest "game ready" driver for the RTX 3070 Ti Laptop was causing some odd behavior in "refine selection" and "refine mask". I didn't notice any problems with other functions.

I recently updated the driver but haven't tried turning OpenCL back on.

I figured out that the main difference between the Game Ready and Studio drivers is that the Game Ready driver gets updated more frequently. Studio is basically a less frequently updated snapshot of the same Game Ready branch.

So if they think a bugfix is not relevant to "studio" applications then they add it to the Game Ready driver only and it stays out of the Studio driver for the time being. If a fix or function is needed for both games and "studio" then they add it to both, or release it on Game Ready first then release that as Studio if it seems to be working for those on the Game Ready branch.

So Studio: 1) gets less updates due to initially leaving out updates that mostly affect games 2) theoretically less likely to be broken by a less tested update, but 3) when an update improves something the Studio driver will lag behind on getting the update.

The recommendation for anyone using both "software" and games is use Game Ready rather than Studio. The Studio driver seems to be more for "if it ain't broke don't fix it" workplace situations where nobody ever updates anything unless necessary for a specific reason.

slice2.png.cb7417e51279952dd5c1adc42860264d.pngpRiNt! mOnKeY! 🖨️🙊
💻Lenovo Legion 5 Pro*, Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700H, 2300 Mhz, 14 Core, 32GB DDR5-4800, nVidia RTX 3070 Ti 8GB, Windoze 11 💻
*Sometimes gets used for something other than games.

@Print Monkey

yeah technically mine was also "odd behavior" and not a crash (even though I had no choice but to force close)

after adding a perspective live filter and trying to add a mask to that same layer, the system slowed down to near freeze, then weird selections appeared on the screen (marching ant selection on the entire project), then grey blocks appeared

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Felipe_RB,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 11/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, Felipe_RB said:

after adding a perspective live filter and trying to add a mask to that same layer, the system slowed down to near freeze, then weird selections appeared on the screen (marching ant selection on the entire project), then grey blocks appeared

I've tried replicating this issue in 2.0.4 with Hardware Acceleration enabled and I'm not seeing the same behaviour currently - can you please confirm for me, is this still occurring within the latest update for you? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan

Thanks for the reply. I cant say if this is still occuring, as I decided to keep this feature switched off. Its just very unstable and usually causes problems, so for my own sanity its just better to disable it