You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Find" unreliable after using the feature for a few minutes

I have encountered several cases where the ,Find' feature did not find strings of text I could easily find in the document with "search" feature of a free PDF viewer. This usually occurs when searching for several strings in a row (e.g. search "string1", then "string2", then "string3" and so on) ... at some point the software just stops finding things.

If would be helpful to have a specific test file, and a sequence of actual searches that failed for you.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If you're copying text from Publisher to the Find text field, check that there's not an extra character at the end that you didn't intend. The End of Story character is currently being copied by mistake and that will cause your search to fail. Just remove that character if this is happening for you.

image.png.3be373e3295ad0af632086c318ecf48a.png

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

I believe you, but I still can't duplicate it. I tried to Find dozens of random words in my document and even went to one or two of the search results for each, made edits, and then used Find again. It just always worked for me. There has to be some other condition that triggers this issue but I don't know what it could be.

I know you almost certainly know this but one note for those new to Publisher, searching for words with apostrophes in them can be confusing because Publisher is stricter than some other applications. Searching for William's won't find William’s because Publisher strictly matches straight and typographic quotation marks. Typing into Find won't convert a straight apostrophe to a typographic apostrophe like it will in a text frame. I trip myself up on this every so often.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for your report @Jens Krebs & @Welsbach, our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding.

I have tested this in a document using expanded Filler Text across 10, linked pages of text frames - totalling 39,000 words and I've been searching for words back to back for around 10 minutes, all of which have been found as expected.

Therefore, can you please confirm for me:

• What language is the Affinity App set to, and what language is set for your text?
  • What version of macOS are you running?
  • Are you manually typing your search term or copy and pasting from the doc? Is the issue shown with either method?
  • Are you able to replicate this behaviour in my test document below? (if so, please provide a screen recording of this for me!)

Many thanks in advance :)

On 11/23/2022 at 1:21 PM, MikeTO said:

If you're copying text from Publisher to the Find text field, check that there's not an extra character at the end that you didn't intend. The End of Story character is currently being copied by mistake and that will cause your search to fail. Just remove that character if this is happening for you.

I can confirm this issue has been logged with our developers and should be resolved in our next update - thanks for letting us know Mike!

LorIps_39K.afpub

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all, many thanks in advance for any info you can provide :D

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!