You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Redraw bug - Show others (Windows + macOS)

François R

I have tried this in Designer 2 on both Windows 11 and macOS Ventura with either minimal performance settings and acceleration enabled. It doesn't seem to be related to drivers or accelleration.

In both very simple documents with 10 simple layers and in rather complex documents this results in the exact same behavior:

• Select topmost layer
  • Select hide others (works as expected)
  • Select show others immediately
    • Selected layer is still visible
    • Others are still invisible
  • Resize the entire application window or zoom in/out
    • Incorrectly invisible layers are now redrawn but slowly in chunks

And the pattern is:

• Select layer number two
  • Select hide others (works as expected, two layers are displayed others are hidden)
  • Select show others immediately
    • Topmost layer and second layer is visible
    • Others are still invisible
  • Resize the entire application window or zoom in/out
    • Incorrectly invisible layers are now redrawn but slowly in chunks

etc. etc.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @François R,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I've tested this here on both macOS and Windows, and thus far I'm unfortunately unable to replicate this issue.

Although I see a ~1sec delay on Windows, both apps correctly hide and then show other layers without the need for me to zoom in/out to perform a redraw.

Are you able to provide a screen recording of this happening, and a copy of the .afdesign file where you are able to see this issue?

If you're unsure how to take a screen recording, please check out our FAQ linked below - 

Many thanks in advance :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Thanks Carl, my apologies as I was not aware of this report - the bug logged with our developers is so far marked as 'File Specific', as we've been unable to replicate this in a test file of our creation - so a copy of your document @François R would be much appreciated :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

5 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks Carl, my apologies as I was not aware of this report - the bug logged with our developers is so far marked as 'File Specific', as we've been unable to replicate this in a test file of our creation - so a copy of your document @François R would be much appreciated :)

Easy to replicate:

mouse.thumb.gif.30f88b92de3ac8827a6c82907c106dfa.gif

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.

• Staff

Thanks for providing that for me, the following is the behaviour I'm seeing currently - 

As can be seen at the end of the video, when I have tens of objects in the document, the delay is more noticeable - but certainly not the same as you're seeing on your end.

Can you please confirm for me, what are the specs of your mac? :)

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for providing that for me, the following is the behaviour I'm seeing currently - 

Can you please confirm for me, what are the specs of your mac? :)

Sure:

Mac Mini M1 2020, 16GB RAM, Ventura 13.0.1

image.png.fa583881b973d611fc93f80de500582c.png

But as topic says... I see the behavior on Windows too. Notice how show all does not work but how selecting hide and show in the layers panel bring them back:

pick.thumb.gif.f744de57b25589a57350f7e448d61fe9.gif

• Staff

Thanks for the further information provided, I'm providing these to our developers now within our internal bug report such that our team can further investigate this issue and work to resolve it ASAP.

Many thanks for your report once again :)

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for the further information provided, I'm providing these to our developers now within our internal bug report such that our team can further investigate this issue and work to resolve it ASAP.

You can safely investigate this issue. I have reinstated it on four machines: 2 x Windows 10 (one with latest updates, one with slightly older Windows 10), one with Windows 11 with latest updates and macOS 13.0.1 Ventura (M1).

In all cases on a newly created document that hasn't even been saved.

Many thanks for your report once again :)

Anytime 🙂

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Thanks for your update, I can confirm that this issue, and a similar issue I've recently logged are unfortunately still with our development team to be resolved.

I will be sure to 'bump' these reports with your post now to bring this to our devs attention once again.

I hope this helps :)