You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher V2 export - *please* remember settings!

I waste so much time because even in V2 the export dialog cannot remember the pdf export settings I have chosen. 

We've been complaining about the default to 'spreads' forever, and it is still here. 

Remembering dialog box settings wasn't rocket science 25 years ago. I'd love to record this as a bug, but I guess it is still just a mere feature request. 

• Staff

You can create your own preset from the burger menu in the advanced section which would include your bleed setting. However that preset doesn't save the area being chosen to export (largely down to area can be your current selection, which doesn't make so much sense for a preset). That said I agree that your last setting in Area should be maintained, we'll take a look.

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

My idea for this:
If I'm selecting something on the document and the last selected area option was a conditional one such as the Selection Area/Only, it will be selected.
Otherwise a permanent area option such as the Whole Document or the All Spreads previously selected will be selected.

• 6 months later...
On 11/23/2022 at 9:25 AM, Ash said:

You can create your own preset from the burger menu in the advanced section which would include your bleed setting. However that preset doesn't save the area being chosen to export (largely down to area can be your current selection, which doesn't make so much sense for a preset). That said I agree that your last setting in Area should be maintained, we'll take a look.

Hi Ash, did anything come of your investigation into this request?

Strange that the developers seem to think that if I use one set of settings now, a few minutes later I’ll want them to go back to different default settings! Doesn’t it make more sense for settings that I choose to stay the same, until I decide to change them!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

• Staff
On 6/6/2023 at 8:13 PM, Alex White said:

Hi Ash, did anything come of your investigation into this request?

Yes - in 2.1 the last selected area should now be remembered in the export dialog, are you not experiencing that?

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

16 minutes ago, Ash said:

Yes - in 2.1 the last selected area should now be remembered in the export dialog, are you not experiencing that?

Yes, area and settings does work but when using spreads and exporting to pages, this part isn't remembered.
This seems to be baked in for spreads.

1 hour ago, Return said:

Yes, area and settings does work but when using spreads and exporting to pages, this part isn't remembered.

- and even if you create your own preset, it STILL does not remember this setting!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

On 6/13/2023 at 9:31 AM, Ash said:

Hi Ash, I'm now using 2.1.1 and as of today it seems that it is remembering the setting in the export dialog. 

Many thanks to those involved in fixing this!

On 6/13/2023 at 4:31 AM, Ash said:

I do not see that "Area: All Pages" is remembered in 2.1.1.1847, Ash.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 11/23/2022 at 4:30 AM, ashf said:

This has been requested multiple times.

While I do not disagree with this specific request (to remember that setting, most likely for a particular document), I do feel a need to point out that just because something is requested multiple times, does not mean it is a good idea.  People frequently ask for things they would later come to regret, which would cause problems for someone else, or which would get in the way of even better things they may not have thought of when making the request.

On 6/21/2023 at 2:01 AM, fde101 said:

that just because something is requested multiple times ...

... or that it was requested a long time ago 🙂

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.