You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer and Thai Language

Hi,

I was wondering how I go about typing in Thai language characters into Designer.

I have several different fonts for Thai that appear fine in, say, TextEdit but when placed into Designer using the same font, it doesn't appear to be using the font correctly.

Not sure if it's a setting or parameter that I've got wrong.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Martin

• Staff

Hi,

I was wondering how I go about typing in Thai language characters into Designer.

I have several different fonts for Thai that appear fine in, say, TextEdit but when placed into Designer using the same font, it doesn't appear to be using the font correctly.

Not sure if it's a setting or parameter that I've got wrong.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Martin

We have our own font rendering engine so it's possible that we are doing something different. If possible, can you send us the font file to support at seriflabs dot com so we can take a look at it. Thanks.

email and font file sent.

thanks for help

We have our own font rendering engine so it's possible that we are doing something different. If possible, can you send us the font file to support at seriflabs dot com so we can take a look at it. Thanks.

Darren,

yes keyboard added.

I can type Thai from both my English/Thai keyboard as well as the Viewer.

Since I don't actually write nor understand the writer Thai language, I'm given certain text files from which I copy/paste.

Manually typing works but copy/pasting doesn't work.

Most strange.

Hi rasterr,

Welcome to the forum.

Can you please check that the Thai keyboard has been added and do have the same issue if you use the keyboard viewer.

Regards,

Darren

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi Martin,

I have been playing with the text file and by changing the text file from a .rtf to a .txt with unicode 8 encoding and then using the Arial Unicode MS font the Thai language is pasted into designer correctly it appears that the formatting of the rtf file is effecting the paste operation. I have attached the file that I converted into a .txt

Regards,

Darren

thai-font-2.txt

There is a bug in how we handle codepages in RTF. We'll get it fixed for the 1.5 beta. Thanks for reporting this.

Even with the Thai imported correctly, our native support for combining marks and the like, which Thai depends on, is not great. I can't say when that will be improved.

Thanks Dave

the instruction that @DWright gave me got me sorted for what I'm doing so I'm happy again :)

Good to see more bugs getting squashed though

Thanks again

Martin

There is a bug in how we handle codepages in RTF. We'll get it fixed for the 1.5 beta. Thanks for reporting this.

Even with the Thai imported correctly, our native support for combining marks and the like, which Thai depends on, is not great. I can't say when that will be improved.