You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Copy flattened, paste, flip vertical causes weird behaviour in AP 2

As the subject says I'm trying to copy a rectangular section of a pixel layer and it creates the impression of there being an extra layer which I didn't create and doesn't appear in the layers panel.

For some reason OBS didn't record the popup menus but hopefully the sequence of steps involved can be understood.

The source file is a 2048x208px webp image which loads as a locked pixel layer.

Can anyone reproduce this?

It is difficult to reproduce without an accurate list of every single step of what you are doing.

please activate the history panel, it at least records most finished  edit activities.

It seems that you duplicated the selection, and then continued to edit the selection by:

• flipping
  • moving the selected area
  • as you move it, the lower layer shines through

This might be what you describe as „extra“ layer. You can destructively edit layers while a selection is active. It a feature, no bug.

but the most important question is:

• what result do you intend to achieve?
  • is your workflow suitable to achieve the result? 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Hi @NotMyFault, there's not much to add.  Here's the history.

image.png.489de749b3a408dcd1af8987a79dec1b.png

I don't think you saw the issue.

If you watch the video again you can see that the pasted section is now the topmost layer in the layers panel yet when moved it appears to go behind the top part of the image which in the layers terms should be "below" it and thus not obscure it. Visually it looks like there are three layers.

The result I'm trying to achieve is to see a strip along the top of the image which is a mirror of the bottom region.

Is it suitable? I can't think of a more direct method to achieve this. I'm sure that there are other ways that this might be accomplished.

I might be wrong but this isn't how I expected it to work.

BTW version 1 behaves in the same manner however it shows that the copy flattened also copied the full image, or at least it's extent, and it displays the boundary of that region as a blue line. This appears to function as a mask and probably explains why it is behaving the way it does. Deselecting the pasted section before moving it appears to solve the problem although this isn't what I would have expected.

image.png.979a6be20694e488f5636021a17d2a2c.png

Yes i missed that detail. Your screenshots shows a blue bounding box of a layer. It seems the full layer got duplicated  (not only the selected area), and when you move the selection, it is clipped by the box layer. I cant reproduce on iPad, will try again on Desktop.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Ps if i duplicate (instead of copy/paste), i get the same issue. 
a probable cause:

• if the selected area is identical to the layer below, the layer gets moved 
  • if you have fractional pixels, the pasted layer is larger than the selected area by at least 1px. Then, the move tool behaves different: the selected area gets moved, and clipped to the (slightly larger) layer.

to check, ensure snapping is on, rasterize and trim the source layer after positioning/resizing. Use transform panel, set preferences to 6 digits for px in preferences, no fractional position or size should happen.

i can reproduce both behaviors:

1. with snapping and carefully avoiding fractional pixels, layer get moved , not clipped
  2. with provoking fractional pixels, only selection of layer gets moved and clipped by layer 

That is interesting. I feel that can't be expected behaviour. It is as if the selection boundary is bound to the wrong layer. My expectation would be that it would follow the paste and only appear as a selection boundary without any impact on it. I can see how this relates to other operations that I use as expected though so it is not a big leap but still surprising. In any case I'm through it now with a work around noted. Thanks for looking at this.

2 minutes ago, Paul Mc said:

That is interesting. I feel that can't be expected behaviour. It is as if the selection boundary is bound to the wrong layer. My expectation would be that it would follow the paste and only appear as a selection boundary without any impact on it. I can see how this relates to other operations that I use as expected though so it is not a big leap but still surprising. In any case I'm through it now with a work around noted. Thanks for looking at this.

Even if it looks surprising, works 100% as designed in my view.

• when you move a selection, it will be clipped within its layer.
  • if a selection is 100% identical to the layer bounding box, the whole layer will move.

A must revise my conclusion. I don’t know what conditions exactly trigger the case of selection move becomes clipped.

It is probably a bug, bounding box confusion.

1. have a pixel layer active 
  2. Crate a selection
  3. duplicate selection (or copy/paste)
  4. flip 
  5. Use move tool and move selection.
  6. Now a wrong bounding box appears: it is a flipped version of the full layer (not of the selection), and it used to clip the moved layer.

assuming that the flip operation while selection is active causes this bug.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Paul Mc & @NotMyFault,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I've been able to replicate a few issues with the workflows described above and I'm logging these with our development team now.

I hope this helps :)

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Vertically flipping a copied Pixel selection retains bounding box from original Pixel layer, incorrectly flipped with the new layer and visually clips pasted pixel layer" (REF: AFP-5946) has now been fixed by the developers.
This fix is included in build 2.1.0.1709 (or later) which is already available as a customer beta and will be included in the next release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.

If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please make a new thread referencing this one.