You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Cannot save any document, new or existing

Where are you trying to save? 

You might try a local disk, and a directory that is not managed by a Cloud service.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks, Walt. The only cloud service I use is dropbox, and only to transfer stuff. However, I did manage to copy and paste my pages to a new file and call it 'Test'. (but not after I'd lost a lot of work, unfortunately.)

That worked, but then I found I could not delete my original file. The message said the file was open in Designer, which was definitely not the case. I still got the error message, even after I closed Designer down. There was no instance of Designer open anywhere on my computer, but this got me thinking.  I right clicked on my original file and opened it in Designer 1. It opened, I made a change and saved the change. 

Then I tried to delete my orignal file ( so I can rename my 'test' file, but it wasn't having that!  I received another error mesage saying the file was still open. I went back into Designer 2, to see if I could open it from there, but it wasn't in the recent files. 

So, slightly mystified, I went back to windows explorer, to see that I had deleted it after all. (well, it was gone, anyway, and that was all I was worried about.).

So, perhaps something is going awry when files automatically transfer from Designer 1 to Designer 2 in the install.

I just nipped into Designer 2, opened a new document, dragged in a picture and saved it, so at least now I can save new files, which for some reason I couldn't do before.

This is in no way a fix, but it is certainly a work around for the time being.

I would like to thank you for answering my call for help.

You're welcome.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
19 hours ago, LeeThorpe said:

Hi Christine,

This should be resolved in a patch shortly.

Lee

I've just had this same error message on MacOS Monterey when saving to local storage (first a local OneDrive folder, then tried saving the file other places too (e.g. Desktop)), i.e. seems non-FAT, local partitions can be affected too.

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 11.49.06.png