F_Kal

[AD] Issues with compound objects of curves with stroke width & issues with their resizing

Hi!

I couldn't find any thread related to this issue, so I assumed the bug is not reported yet. While preparing the file, I noticed more odd behavior, so I'm reporting 1 potential + 1 bug in this thread.

Still, I would have sworn that my eye caught some mention of some issue pertaining to lines and boolean operations, but couldn't find it anyplace... Sorry for the duplicate if there is one indeed.

The test setup:

I wanted to fill a small area with black ink, so I drew dense jittery brush curves with my stylus. The stroke width parameter was rather thick.

Then I made a copy of these curves, and made a compound object out of them. The compound object came out strange-looking.

post-10622-0-95370100-1453687439_thumb.png

1st (potential) bug Description:

In Affinity Designer, when creating a compound object of a few brush curves that have a stroke width >0, the result of the operation is not as expected

For me the expected was the unaltered appearance. Or in other words the appearance of the compound object if I had expanded the strokes first.

(see 1st line in the image)

2nd bug Description:

If I scale down the non-destructive compound objects by dragging the circular handles, the screen doesn't refresh until you release dragging.

Scaling down a (destructive) compound object, works properly

post-10622-0-50109800-1453687051_thumb.png

hope this helps!

-Fotis

2 .afdesign files attached:

compound_strokes_issue_fileB.afdesign is the one described above

compound_strokes_issue02.afdesign is another example I made

compound_strokes_issue02.afdesign

compound_strokes_issue_fileB.afdesign

Hi F_Kal

Your first issue is actually expected. You are attempting to create a closed shape out of multiple open curves. The result you are seeing is the outline for the closed shape, not a filled shape as you may have expected. There are a few areas that are knocked out caused by the shape overlapping back on itself. if you reduce the stroke on the compound shape you can see this a bit clearer. I get the same result when recreating this in other apps too. To get more of a homogenous solid block you can expand the strokes using the layers menu before making the compound.

As for your second issue, I am unable to recreate this. As i resize the whole compound or the elements that make up the compound, the shape is updated in real time. I did notice that the middle compound was slightly slower than the others but it still updated without having to release the mouse

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com

@Chris_K, you're right and right (on both issues)!

-I don't know how I didn't realize they were... open curves! Indeed, it's the standard behavior in all vector software!

-I relaunched AD today and tested resizing the shapes, but today I couldn't reproduce it either - It was very slow updating, but it was showing after waiting for 1 or 2 seconds... dunno, maybe I was a bit impatient yesterday and assumed that it was never going to show?

Thank you so much, you are doing a great job!

-Fotis

As for your second issue, I am unable to recreate this. As i resize the whole compound or the elements that make up the compound, the shape is updated in real time. I did notice that the middle compound was slightly slower than the others but it still updated without having to release the mouse

Hi @Chris_K, seems I could reproduce the bug today - and I've made some progress with it, so I hope this helps:

Which bug?

In affinity designer when resizing the compound object (non-destructive compound object) using the handles  it won't refresh the object's size until I release my "click".

Funny thing is I tried recording a screencast with quicktime player, but strangely enough whenever the screen was being captured, it would behave "normally":

Refreshing was slow(later on that), but it was refereshing nonetheless. In later tests I realized a few more strangenesses - summarizing:

1)When using the mouse, it does refresh;

2) When using the stylus (wacom intuos 4), it would't refresh until I had released the "click"... 

3) ...unless I'm using quicktime to record the screen, in which case it does refresh. Makes me wonder if it gets too much input (samples?) from the stylus and this "clogs" AD?..

4) in the case of the mouse, or quicktime that refreshing happens, it is too slow: too slow imo for the complexity of the object I was making- I remember doing real-time non-destructive boolean operations in 3D objects with hundreds/thousands of polygons, in the late 90s with a Pentium 2 and I can't do the same on my quad-core i5+20GB RAM 2011 imac... with merely 4 closed curves? there is definitely something fishy going on! 

I run multiple tests and it was always the same.

The console displayed no errors at all.

I've included the .afdesign file, and here's a link for a video I took with my phone (unfortunately I wasn't permitted to upload an mp4 file):

Sorry for the bad video quality; at times it gets dark (when I point at my hand holding the mouse or the stylus) but it shows pretty much what happens: when using the stylus, I have to release the tip before the object refreshes, when using the mouse (or I'm using the stylus but quicktime is simulateneously recording), it refreshes - albeit too slow!

I hope this helps; let me know if I can help somehow; I'd be glad!

cheers,

-Fotis

bug.afdesign

Ahh I was using a mouse so that's why it appeared fine for me. I've just tried it with a pen and tablet and I'm getting the same as you. I'll pass this on to the developers. I'll look into the speed issues

Serif Europe Ltd - Check the latest news at www.affinity.serif.com