You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Performance Issues - V.2 - lagging Brush flow/frame rate

Graphicon

Please give this a try; my painting is buttery smooth in the Pixel Persona. In the Windows Settings, go to Settings > Display > Graphics. In the Add an app dropdown, select Microsoft Store Apps and click Browse. Select Affinity Designer 2 from the list. Once it's listed, click the Options button next to it and change it to High performance and click Save. Restart Affinity Designer 2 if you had it open already.

image.png.8bbfdea482f4019ca287ede596419657.png

image.png.6343b270a91514ae3383b8515d6846f4.png

Yeah, I'm also experiencing much degraded brush performance in Affinity Designer V2 versus V1 :

• Windows 11 (10.0.22621)
  • Ryzen 3600, Radeon RX 580 8GB, 16GB RAM, running on PCIe 3 NVMe drive.

I found that turning OpenCL Acceleration off improved brush performance in V2, however:

• I have not needed to turn it off in Affinity Designer V1 to improve bad performance.
  • The performance still isn't as good as in Affinity Designer V1 with OpenCL on.

I tried this technique below and found that it didn't make any difference for me:

6 hours ago, BigNickEnergy said:

Please give this a try; my painting is buttery smooth in the Pixel Persona. In the Windows Settings, go to Settings > Display > Graphics. In the Add an app dropdown, select Microsoft Store Apps and click Browse. Select Affinity Designer 2 from the list. Once it's listed, click the Options button next to it and change it to High performance and click Save. Restart Affinity Designer 2 if you had it open already.

image.png.8bbfdea482f4019ca287ede596419657.png

image.png.6343b270a91514ae3383b8515d6846f4.png

If you have more than one GPU you could also switch them in the Affinity preference pannels in the "performance tab". Isn't this the same as the setting in the Windows preferences for the apps?

I suppose the brush lag must have to do with either AMD CPUs or AMD GPUs. On my old machine I have both (AMD CPU+GPU) and there only turning off OpenGl helps. On my new Machine there is an Intel CPU + nVidia GPU. Here I don't see brush lagging, no matter if OpenGL ist turned on or off. But beyond that, the freeze problem (as seen in the screen capture video on page 1 of this thread still exists. But it is very difficult to narrow down the problem, because there is no pattern when the freezing occurs. For me it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the pure mass of content in a file. Rather using a lot of clipping, layer effects like gaussian blur seems to be of importance.

I also see some strange glitches in the rendering when moving objects. The disapear instantly but while dragging the objects there can sometimes some strange pixel forms be seen. Therefore, I suspect that the problems might have something to do with the rendering. Obviously Serif has changed the rendering engine a lot, which in turn could be related to the GPUs.

DESIGNER 2 AND PHOTO 2 CRASHING - UPDATE ON PROGRESS + THE 3 STEPS I HAVE TAKEN BELOW TO HELP IMPROVE MY RESULTS

Hi Designers,

I just wanted to pop back in and give you an update.

OK, I received a few emails about updating the Performance Options, Thank You BigNickEnergy  for the Tips.

I have also done an extra Step 3 as well and  have Included all the Screenshots for you as well on a Windows 11 machine.

I have done the following as well as Resetting and Resetting all 3 Affinity Apps DE2 / PH2 / PUB2

1]  First thru the Windows App settings in Apps: [ All Screenshots attached for Windows 11 ]

Settings > Apps > Installed Apps > Select App > Menu (3 dots ...) > Advanced Options > Reset > Un-Install

This Procedure just makes sure all yr Apps are Clean and freshly installed.

2]  Next I went and did the same as BigNickEnergy above.

Windows Settings, go to:

Settings > Display > Graphics.

a] In the Add an app drop down, select Microsoft Store Apps and click Browse.
b] Select Affinity Designer 2 from the list. Once it's listed,
c] click the Options button next to it and change it to High performance and click Save.
d] Restart Affinity Designer 2 if you had it open already.

3] This is the extra Step I did. I went in and changed the Default Settings for Graphics
for the > Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling.

It was Turned OFF and I Turned it ON

Settings  System  Display  Graphics  Default Graphics Settings  >  [ Hardware Accelerated GPU Scheduling ]  >  ON

When you get there Turn the GPU Option ON and I also turned on the Optimization for Windowed Games but you can test both Options.

RESULTS SO FAR
Now it is early days but at the moment I am having no major problems with either Designer 2 or Photo 2 but I will know more
as I build up the layers and graphic details I have in these particular projects so I will pop back and update you on how I am going.

ATT LEIGH > I wanted to let you know that below are the 2 Crash Dump Report Files you asked for, I decided that you probably did want me to upload these
and they are below for you, One Report for Designer 2 and One for Photo 2. I haven't used Publisher 2 yet so didn't upload anything for that ok.

All the best Designers and we'll chat soon.

Cheers Kev Borg

SYSTEM ABOUT - W11 VH2.png

STEP 1 - RESET AFFINITY APPS IN W11.png

STEP 1B - RESET AND UNINSTALL APPS W11.png

STEP 1C - RESET AND UNINSTALL APPS W11 SCREEN 2.png

STEP 2 - SETTING APPS TO HIGH PERFORMANCE IN WINDOWS 11.png

STEP 3 - SEELECT GPU ACCELARETED SHEDULING SCREEN 5.png

3b5416f9-5c72-4fea-ad1a-7e92bd8837c7.dmp 6254e610-cabb-4da2-80b7-e7db52442cb7.dmp

These performance issues are not new to V2 for me. All my Affinity apps for Windows have always had awful performance, from Windows 10 to 11 across multiple PC specs. I'm currently running a Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core CPU and a RTX 3070 Ti GPU with 32GB ram on a M.2 gen4 SSD and these apps are all extremely laggy. There's a short delay when selecting/deselecting everything. Just awful to use.

I am so sick of Windows optimization seemingly never being improved for the multiple years I've been using this software. Utterly disappointing. It runs better on my comparatively weak 2017 Macbook Pro. I've been such a cheerleader for these apps to other designers but I'm really losing faith that they will ever get these to actually run well for Windows. Very frustrating that they aren't putting more resources into this.

8 hours ago, mediumcheese said:

These performance issues are not new to V2 for me. All my Affinity apps for Windows have always had awful performance, from Windows 10 to 11 across multiple PC specs. I'm currently running a Ryzen 9 3900XT 12-Core CPU and a RTX 3070 Ti GPU with 32GB ram on a M.2 gen4 SSD and these apps are all extremely laggy. There's a short delay when selecting/deselecting everything. Just awful to use.

I am so sick of Windows optimization seemingly never being improved for the multiple years I've been using this software. Utterly disappointing. It runs better on my comparatively weak 2017 Macbook Pro. I've been such a cheerleader for these apps to other designers but I'm really losing faith that they will ever get these to actually run well for Windows. Very frustrating that they aren't putting more resources into this.

Totally agree. It's all about Windows optimization. I upgraded to V2 because I expected Serif would have some better optimization updates for Windows users in near future.

Affinity 2 Designer performance is slower on Windows 11, Windows 12 and Mac. We have AMD Ryzen, Intel Xeon and Apple M1 Ultra. Affinity is just generally slower on all of them. Performance improvements and stability must be a top priority. It's taken much longer to develop artwork on AD2 than the good old AD1.x.

Price is very low for the suite so seems a bit unfair to complain about what is now a very good hobby tool.  But at the end of the day commercial use this means Adobe Illustrator is probably a tool we will have to go back to for the time being until this is resolved. It's a shame as we've used Affinity for the last 5 years and loved what they do. It will get better no doubt.