You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Minimizing macOS app window implemented incorrectly

On macOS when you have the Desktop & Dock system settings set to 'Minimize windows into application icon' the app/window should minimize into the application icon. This can be done either by clicking the yellow '-' traffic light button (top left of window) or, if the 'Double-click a window's title bar to…' (found in the same macOS settings screen) is set to 'Minimize', by double-clicking on an app window's title bar.

The v2 Affinity apps do indeed minimize into the app icon using both methods described above. Yay! The problem is, the typical macOS way to restore a minimized app window with this Desktop & Dock settings configuration is double-click a minimized application's dock icon. Doing this with the Affinity apps does nothing but bring the app to the foreground (the top menu is restored as are any floating panels not docked in the left or right studios). The expected behaviour is that by double-clicking any minimized Affinity application is to restore the full app window along with any open documents. If more than one window had been minimized the last window to be minimized would be restored.

Currently you have to either right-click on the app dock icon and then select the window/document you want to open, or by focusing the app (clicking on the dock icon) and then selecting the desired window/document listed under the Window top menu item.

On 11/22/2022 at 7:13 AM, Bryan Rieger said:

On macOS when you have the Desktop & Dock system settings set to 'Minimize windows into application icon' the app/window should minimize into the application icon. This can be done either by clicking the yellow '-' traffic light button (top left of window) or, if the 'Double-click a window's title bar to…' (found in the same macOS settings screen) is set to 'Minimize', by double-clicking on an app window's title bar.

The v2 Affinity apps do indeed minimize into the app icon using both methods described above. Yay! The problem is, the typical macOS way to restore a minimized app window with this Desktop & Dock settings configuration is double-click a minimized application's dock icon. Doing this with the Affinity apps does nothing but bring the app to the foreground (the top menu is restored as are any floating panels not docked in the left or right studios). The expected behaviour is that by double-clicking any minimized Affinity application is to restore the full app window along with any open documents. If more than one window had been minimized the last window to be minimized would be restored.

Currently you have to either right-click on the app dock icon and then select the window/document you want to open, or by focusing the app (clicking on the dock icon) and then selecting the desired window/document listed under the Window top menu item.

Unity, the game engine, had this "bug" for a few generations, up until about late 2020, too.

• 5 months later...

Hi, I just wanted to put a reminder on this bug. I have the same problem and it annoys me literally every single day (Yeah! That's how often I use your great products!!).

I hoped for a fix in version 2.1 but the update unluckily did not adress this problem...

So I express my hopes for a quick fix in one of the coming minor updates 🙏

• Staff

Hi @Jan19,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are aware this issue is quite annoying. My apologies for the inconvenience this is causing you.
We have it fixed internally but still have to pass QA, hopefully the fix will be included in the next update.
Thanks for your feedback/support.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "Application (running) doesn't maximize when we click the icon on the dock" (REF: AFP-4836) has been fixed by the developers in internal build "2.2.0.1857".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.