You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Permanently keep a layer at the top.

afaik locking a layer protect it from deletion.

i do not know a way to keep a layer on top of the layer stack, but if your problem is that adjustment layers and live filter layers are added on top of the layer stack and you'd like them to be added as children of the current layer, you can configure this behaviour through the assistant.

you can access the assistant by clicking its icon on the top of the window, or by selecting the view menu and then assistant manager.

take care,

stefano

Just want to keep it at the top. I use design for making 3D texture maps and I want my transparent UV layer to always be on top over laying everything below it but I find my self adding layer on top of it and then I have to stop my work flow and move the UVs to the top again PITA.

Mac MacBook Pro 15 in.  OS X 10.9.5, Mid 2012 456.77 GB Affinity Design and Photo.

Can you not select a layer that is lower in the stack before inserting? Adding a new layer inserts it directly above the selected layer, which wouldn't be the top layer unless that is the active layer.

This is how it works in AP.

Unfortunately not so in AD..... but it should be. 

I'm going to log it as a feature request.

(I might actually list it as a bug :))

Uncle808us: I do 3D UV texture(+) maps too.... I feel your pain.

This is how it works in AP.

Unfortunately not so in AD..... but it should be. 

I'm going to log it as a feature request.

(I might actually list it as a bug :))

Uncle808us: I do 3D UV texture(+) maps too.... I feel your pain.

Now I'm confused, but maybe you mean something else?

I just tried it, and the new layer placed itself on top of the chosen layer (in between layers in the layer stack.)

EDIT: You are right, when I made an empty layer, it got on the top, but when I made an object, it got on top of the chosen layer.

Good to know!

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Now I'm a little confused :).

This issue, now, is not as bad....

YOU are correct....if you have a layer selected then the new one is place just above the current selection.

But, If you have a simple object/curve/text selected hitting New Layer places it on top of the entire stack.

Confusingly, though, if there's an object(s) inside a layer and that object is selected the new layer is placed above the parent layer of that object.

So apart from free floating individual items, I think we're good.

• 5 years later...

I also agree with this idea, it is simply a MUST! Sometimes the "target a layer and see the created layer stack above/underneath it" feature doesn't work for me either.

I am illustrating self portraits and I always have my person's face on top of all other layers to toggle visible/invisible whenever I need to work or get more information.
But it is SUCH a PAIN to always toggle my photo visible and then see sparkly eyes on my customer's face forcing me to move the layers down over and over and OVER again!

Apart from that, I really love Affinity Designer, a great program. :)