You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening AI or AI-Generated PDF File Ignores Objects with No Stroke and No Fill

It might seem odd to care whether or not a Non-Filled/Non-Stroked object opens in a file, but such an item does come in handy at times. At any rate, I can save and open a native Designer 2 file with such an object just fine. But, if I open a file made and saved with Illustrator, or a PDF created by Illustrator (the only formats I tested), the object is nowhere to be found in the document.

Running Designer 2.0.0 on Windows 10. Hardware acceleration tested in both on and off states. Sample files are attached.

Thanks!

-Joe

NOSTROKENOFILLTEST.afdesign NOSTROKENOFILLTEST.ai NOSTROKENOFILLTEST.pdf

The Adobe file formats all have a proprietary data area that third-party programmes cannot read. This will also be the case here.

Adobe does this to secure their monopoly position.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

34 minutes ago, Komatös said:

The Adobe file formats all have a proprietary data area that third-party programmes cannot read. This will also be the case here.

Adobe does this to secure their monopoly position.

Not all applications have an issue with the sample .ai file. The below is VectorStyler.

Capture_000996.png.02e9e226b4a02f00431b2dc4dd629fd0.png

On the other hand, Acrobat reports the pdf as containing nothing.

21 minutes ago, MikeW said:

On the other hand, Acrobat reports the pdf as containing nothing.

Interesting, just confirmed that for myself after reading this. Also interesting is I get the same results with Inkscape or Corel Draw. But most interesting is your success in reading it with VectorStyler. So it leads me to believe that it is indeed possible to read in a no-fill, no-stroke object, outside of the Adobe walls. 

It is possible that the developer of the Vector Styler has carried out excessive reverse engineering.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

2 hours ago, Komatös said:

It is possible that the developer of the Vector Styler has carried out excessive reverse engineering.

Excessive? If by that you mean enough to open a fair number of AI files with reasonable fidelity, then ok.

VS isn't perfect in opening every AI file. I've tried some that were crap. But the developer has a great start on it.

3 hours ago, MikeW said:

Excessive? If by that you mean enough to open a fair number of AI files with reasonable fidelity, then ok.

VS isn't perfect in opening every AI file. I've tried some that were crap. But the developer has a great start on it.

I've not run into any real issues opening illustrator files in Vectorstyler. Have you shared the ones with which you had issues with the developer? I'm sure any rare example with an issue would help him improve his reverse engineering results