You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

One thing that I have seen mentioned on facebook groups is the crop tool. Most seem to agree that either 'crop to original ratio' be set as default or the the user be allowed to set the option that fits their workflow best.
For me it is original ratio as I rarely use any other setting.

Can this be added to the relevant programs?

2 hours ago, Dangerous said:

Most seem to agree that either 'crop to original ratio' be set as default or the the user be allowed to set the option that fits their workflow best.

"Most" is relative. Especially when it comes to Facebook which is a part of Teh Interwebz that "many" never even visit. (Like me. For many reasons that are off topic.)

Now, for me it's exactly fine as is, because I almost never use the "Original ratio" mode. I definitely don't remember the last time I've used it. For what I use the crop tool 99%  of time, it's Unconstrained, and I'm entering absolute pixel values into both fields.

So the only acceptable change here would be as usual:

the user be allowed to set the option that fits their workflow best

^ +1 to this.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

I thought how the V2 doesn't remember the last setting was a bug.

How it worked in v1 was more intuitive in my opinion.  I know it's what you are used to etc, but it's annoying to have to re-enter the ratio you want every time.

Remember the last used setting would get my vote

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/22/2022 at 12:11 AM, Dangerous said:

One thing that I have seen mentioned on facebook groups is the crop tool. Most seem to agree that either 'crop to original ratio' be set as default or the the user be allowed to set the option that fits their workflow best.

Can this be added to the relevant programs?

Yes please!

Either user to set the default (preferable) or default to last setting (if that's easier and it will happen quicker).

Also, being able to undo and go back to where you were working, rather than back to the start e.g. if make a crop and realise it needs a minor adjustment and undo it, I have to start again, it would be very useful if I could go back to the crop before I pressed "accept" and adjust the crop.

• 4 weeks later...

PLEASE let me set default crop value in settings. It makes sense to have it initially as original ratio for me as a photographer. After that the last choice makes sense. But if I can set is as either: Original ratio or last choice, then it would benefit my workflow a lot.

As it is now, I need to make two extra mouse click every f... time a adjust the cropping. And some times you need to fine tune the cropping a lot to get the right balance.

I'm running v. 2.0.3 on macOS Monterey v12.3.1 , 2018 macbook pro.