You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File won't open

Recently updated to Affinity Design V2 and produced a new file, I now find I cannot open the file and get the following message :- Failed to open document.

/Users/mickhennessy/Documents/Car Park Jan 2023.afdesign

The file includes features from a later version of Affinity.

Help Please 

How were you trying to open the document? From within Designer 2? Or by opening the file via Finder?
If the latter are you sure that it was actually Affinity Designer 2 that was trying to open the document and not Affinity Designer?
It’s possible that your system is still reaching for Designer as the default app to open .afdesign files.
If you open an Info window for the file in question which app is shown as the default app for opening it and similar files?

macOS 10.15.7  15" Macbook Pro, 2017  |  4 Core i7 3.1GHz CPU  |  Radeon Pro 555 2GB GPU + Integrated Intel HD Graphics 630 1.536GB  |  16GB RAM  |  Wacom Intuos4 M

5 hours ago, dmatik said:

and cannot be opened.

Any error message?
Can you upload the document?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@dmatik

I can't open the document either (Same error message)

This has been reported before (and logged).

The document you provided should help the support staff figure out what's wrong with some documents to give this error message

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Where are you loading the file from?

An issue like that has been reported when using Google Drive.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I'm having the same problem.

I opened a V1 Publisher file and made some changes to it using V2 and saved it as a new file. I then sent the V2 file to a colleague who tried to open it in V2 and got the error saying 'The file includes features from a later version of Affinity'. I can open the file in V2 but my colleague can't.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Are you on the same OS (and versions)?

How did you send it (or share) to your colleague?

If he sends that copy back to you, can you still open it (not the original, the one he/she now has)

2 hours ago, carl123 said:

How did you send it (or share) to your colleague?

If he sends that copy back to you, can you still open it (not the original, the one he/she now has)

The file was shared via dropbox. She has just sent me back the file and I can open it.

I suppose I'll have to contact Serif but they only seem to be contactable on twitter or facebook.

32 minutes ago, jzza said:

She has just sent me back the file and I can open it.

My guess: she isn't really trying to open it in V2. Make sure she opens V2, then from within V2 uses Open. 

33 minutes ago, jzza said:

I suppose I'll have to contact Serif but they only seem to be contactable on twitter or facebook.

This is the preferred location to contact them. They are very busy, though, and could take several days to get to a topic here.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, xnjxn said:

Why does designer hang?

Screen Shot 2023-09-05 at 5.47.38 PM.png

Does it just hang on that one document?

If so, try leaving it a bit longer (e.g. 15 minutes) to open

If it still does not load can you upload it to the forum for someone to have a look at it?

12 hours ago, xnjxn said:

Why does designer hang?

Please give us more info to work with, like if you are a Mac or Windows user, which version of AD you are running, & the size, filetype, & location of the file you are trying to open.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

7 hours ago, R C-R said:

Please give us more info to work with, like if you are a Mac or Windows user, which version of AD you are running, & the size, filetype, & location of the file you are trying to open.

Mac OS 12.6.8; AD 2.1.1; 1.2 mb; "banner.afdesign"; various locations/files.

I always wind up force-quitting because there's no way to cancel.

banner.afdesign

FWIW, your banner file opens without issues in AD 2 on my Mac in less than a second. When you say it was stored in various locations was any of them on your startup drive?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

4 hours ago, R C-R said:

FWIW, your banner file opens without issues in AD 2 on my Mac in less than a second. When you say it was stored in various locations was any of them on your startup drive?

Ohhh, I think I get it. Likely the various files that have behaved as if corrupt were in folders within my "Documents" directory ... which I see now is on iCloud drive.  So I infer the file wasn't fully accessible to the application. Thanks for checking it out, and for your insightful question.

• Staff
On 9/7/2023 at 4:47 AM, xnjxn said:

Curiously, after moving the file to my local drive it produces the same result. So does that mean an in-progress cloud transfer is Not the culprit?

Your file also loads for me too. Does this happen for all documents or just this one document?