You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Extremely sensitive Selection Brush in V2

CH Trippe

For the most part I am having no problems with V2, just getting used to some of the differences, but I have noticed that the selection brush tool, which I use all the time, is extremely sensitive -- much more so than I remember it being in V1. In V2,  you move it only slightly to the right, it gets HUGE immediately --- kind of like a car going 0 to 60.  I can work with this,  but it's a bit tricky to get the brush  down to a usable size, at least for my purposes, as most of my selections require only a small to medium size brush. I'm just wondering if this is a "bug," or an intentional feature.  In other words the range for getting a small to medium size brush is very small indeed.  Has anyone else noticed this?

33 minutes ago, CH Trippe said:

the selection brush tool, which I use all the time, is extremely sensitive

On which platform and with which input device? 
I'm not noticing anything unusual neither on a MacBook using the trackpad, nor on an iPad with the onscreen slider or using external keyboard ctrl-option-click shortcut and Apple Pen à la desktop.

However…

38 minutes ago, CH Trippe said:

Has anyone else noticed this?

In v2.0.1 iPad I had the impression that the sliders were reacting linear indeed, while in the new v2.0.2 it seems they now scale logarithmic. No idea if I changed a preference setting or something, as I'm new to Affinity on iPad and I never used v1 there.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

13 minutes ago, CH Trippe said:

I don't know what "reacting linear" vs "scaling logarithmic' means

duckduckgo.com/?q=linear+nonlinear

17 minutes ago, CH Trippe said:

None of the other brushes are behaving this way --- only the selection brush. 

17 minutes ago, CH Trippe said:

MacBook Pro, M1 chip, OS Ventura

I see. Can't help here, sorry. My officially "obsolete" MacBook can't run anything above Catalina.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 months later...
  • Staff
On 11/22/2022 at 2:19 PM, CH Trippe said:

Anyway, thanks for trying. I was hoping someone from Affinity could weigh in, in case this is a difference in V2.

Yup there is a difference and we do have it logged with the Dev team to resolve as the slider in V1 for the Selection Brush was much easier to control.  

• 2 months later...