You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AD 2 macOS: Contour tool removes original element

When I do an outline (contour tool), the original disappears.

A simple example: I draw a circle with a diameter of 50 mm. I choose the Contour Tool with + 5 mm. I now see two circles in the preview. But when I switch to the Move tool, the origin 50 mm circle disappears.

This was already the case in version 1. That's why I never used the contour tool. Surely I'm doing something wrong?

How do I get an outline contour without losing the original?

Mmhhh, I wonder what the developers were thinking. This makes no sense at all. A contour is not a contour when the element which surrounds the contour is missing.

Then I do it as in ver. 1 with "Expand Stroke", which works without deleting the source element. # # # I know it's not deleted, I can change the distance. But for the eye it is deleted.

There is an option to to hold down Alt/Option on Mac, probably Ctrl on windows, to clone the object you are contouring but it has never worked and they have not removed that option or actually got it working, a pretty lame half-hearted affair IMHO, and it really needs to be sorted because it should work or not be in a professional vector app.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, tersmuse said:

Mmhhh, I wonder what the developers were thinking.

Just guessing but I think they are thinking that applying a contour should be non-destructive -- IOW, unless it is baked in, it can be adjusted or removed at any time, so it is simply an object that can have a positive, zero, or negative radius path contour.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 2 months later...
  • Staff
On 11/22/2022 at 10:34 AM, firstdefence said:

There is an option to to hold down Alt/Option on Mac, probably Ctrl on windows, to clone the object you are contouring but it has never worked and they have not removed that option or actually got it working, a pretty lame half-hearted affair IMHO, and it really needs to be sorted because it should work or not be in a professional vector app.

Thats a bug.  I've updated the report with a link back to this thread :) 

@tersmuse As @GarryPhas pointed, currently you'd have to duplicate the shape before the applying the Contour to keep the original shape.  Once the bug to Clone the shape when using the Contour tool has been fixed, that step won't be needed.  If you have any suggestions to improve this tools, please do post them in the feedback section of the Forums :)