You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DAUB W&W - cannot open brush pack - AP instantly crashes.

Realm_SGG

Hi, I am having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around how this magically starts happening, because I have not changed anything in my device recently, only when I installed AP 2.

The official DAUB W&W Bristles pack sold on your store causes the program to instantly crash whenever I open the subfolder.
Affinity Photo 1 did not have this issue.

It happens on all files I've tried to use the brushes on.
I've removed and re-imported the brush pack but that did not fix anything.

Device and Affinity Photo 2 info:

AP 2 version: 2.0.0.1640
Hardware Acceleration is turned on. (And turning it off makes it impossible to work with at decent file sizes).

Windows 10 Home 21H2
Huion Inspiroy Q11K v2 graphics tablet (not sure if relevant but it's the main external device I use).

I've added what I understood to be the crash files, please let me know if you need anything else.

Thank you.

attachment_Log.txt d7953454-ff0f-45bd-97aa-591343955311.dmp

Crashes for me, too.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, Chris B said:

I've got the brush pack but I think I'm missing something. Can you provide the steps? I think I'm struggling with the 'crash whenever I open the subfolder' bit

Apologies for the late reply.

I meant to describe that I own the collective DAUB W&W brush pack, but specifically the Bristles category causes the crash:

image.png.4d03fa8a91c639f13d2dcea1f4e6c9b3.png

Simply by clicking the underlined folder, the app shuts down

Same for me, Chris. Trying to select the brush category crashes Photo 2.

Here's a dump from my Win 11 machine (my Win 10 machine still stubbornly refuses to create dumps of the Affinity 2 apps):

2447393d-3b34-47f6-a319-94cf9fb0c398.dmp

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

16 minutes ago, Lluís said:

Same here, when I try to select DAUB W&W - Bristles, any application v2 crashes (Publisher, Photo or Designer). Obviously I cannot uninstall because isn't possible to select it.
Are there any other way to unistall it?

Assuming you installed it via Account, you can uninstall it that way, too. Open Account, scroll down to DAUB Watercolors & Washes, and expand that entry. Then click on the "installed" icon for Bristles.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Assuming you installed it via Account, you can uninstall it that way, too. Open Account, scroll down to DAUB Watercolors & Washes, and expand that entry. Then click on the "installed" icon for Bristles.

Nope, I've installed manually by Import Brushes... after download file from my Affinity account.

1 hour ago, Lluís said:

Nope, I've installed manually by Import Brushes... after download file from my Affinity account.

Too bad. 

In that case, I can only suggest you avoid clicking on it in the Brushes panel until the problem is resolved. My only other suggestion would be to use a Ctrl Run-up and reset your brushes completely to remove everything you've installed, and then reinstal all of them again.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
On 11/22/2022 at 8:49 AM, Chris B said:

Sean and I have tried this but we still are not crashing. I may have to just log the issue with the crash reports and see if dev can figure out what's happening.

Hello, it has been over a month now and the issue persists. Would you be able to say if there is any progress please? 

@Realm_SGG I discovered that it does not crash when deactivating "show as list" in the brush panel. The bug will still be there, but it won't bother you, you can use these brushes. Indeed, Photoshop used to list the brushes so in the brush panel. I made a video about it (excuse the Spanish):

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 and V2.4 Windows 10 and Windows 11. 
Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

4 minutes ago, SrPx said:

@Realm_SGG I discovered that it does not crash when deactivating "show as list" in the brush panel. The bug will still be there, but it won't bother you, you can use these brushes. Indeed, Photoshop used to list the brushes so in the brush panel. I made a video about it (excuse the Spanish):

Thank you, this works for me too, though I really hope they don't forget about this issue because of this.

This a sentiment I kind of perceive from others when a temporary fix is found.  I truly believe it can't ever be the case: They want the app to work well. And more importantly, something like this is a symptom of a problem (with other ramifications, etc) : I have no doubt that they are looking into it, but they're having an extremely busy month, despite being holidays. The workarounds are only for professionals (and hobbyists, but the former might have a lot of pressure...I do know...) to save the day and/or the project, and allowing to keep using the apps in the projects.  :) 

Ryzen 9 3900X, 32 GB RAM,  RTX 3060 12GB, Wacom Intuos XL, Wacom L. Eizo ColorEdge CS 2420 monitor. Windows 10 Pro.
(Laptop) HP Omen 16-b1010ns 12700H, 32GB DDR5, nVidia RTX 3060 6GB + Huion Kamvas 22 pen display, Windows 11 Pro.

6 hours ago, SrPx said:

This a sentiment I kind of perceive from others when a temporary fix is found.  I truly believe it can't ever be the case: They want the app to work well. And more importantly, something like this is a symptom of a problem (with other ramifications, etc) : I have no doubt that they are looking into it, but they're having an extremely busy month, despite being holidays. The workarounds are only for professionals (and hobbyists, but the former might have a lot of pressure...I do know...) to save the day and/or the project, and allowing to keep using the apps in the projects.  :) 

I meant nothing ill by it and I agree with you, my only fault is that I'm somewhat pessimistic because of past experiences (though since they are unrelated to Serif they are pretty ungrounded). It was more of a small thought of worry rather than a remark if that makes sense.

Yep, is logical to fear that. But from years around here... I think they fix all what they can fix. And they provide a lot more feedback about the issues than most software companies whose products I've used, or actually companies where I have worked at. Which is impressive, as with a small staff this is much harder. They are a very small company. No worries, I did not take it badly or anything.  :)