You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[found workaround] Designer 1 and 2 are not both allowed at the same time in Wacom Tablet Properties

Friksel

Not sure what is causing this, but using the latest Wacom Tablet Properties configurator to configure the Wacom tablet for use with different software programs, I've bumped into something I never bumped into before;

When adding the Affinity v2 applications to the wacom panel the version 1 applications get removed/replaced by the new application. So for some reason it's not recognizing Designer v2 (which I'm configuring right now) to be a different application.

Probably that is because the name is exactly the same (Designer) somewhere and the software cannot make a distinction.

I've tried adding the v2 designer application to the configurator by picking it from the path, but that doesn't make a difference. It's always only showing the last Designer-application I've added to the wacom panel (either v1 or v2).

Not sure if this is something Serif can change, but it's not really a feature request either as I would expect this to work, so putting this in the bug-forum because obviously a lot of people work with Wacom so I'm sure I'm not the only one facing this issue so I consider this to be important to Serif. But if somebody has any tips on how to solve/workaround this, I'm all ears!

image.png.36d470622ea3ea8b438be80d65361ae3.png

image.png.2a148b24f15c6899c1f90b8069c40c5c.png    <- one or the other->  image.png.56fc315b6dd983c68efe320fc922ea5b.png

Ah... I figured a workaround, which was actually pretty simple;

Just rename the designer.exe (v1) into designer1.exe and the panel makes a distinction between the two 😀. It works now! 😀

Leaving this here just in case other people are looking for the same thing. And perhaps it's helpful to Serif.

How are you even pointing to the Designer 2 executable? You (and other programs) should not be able to access the directory where it lives, with the current MSIX-based executable.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

And not pointing to the V2 executable at all? That's an interesting approach, that I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks!

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

And not pointing to the V2 executable at all? That's an interesting approach, that I wouldn't have thought of. Thanks!

Not sure what you mean by 'pointing' tho. The way Wacom probably recognizes which application is currently active to switch settings to seems to be looking at the active window and find what executable filename started it. It doesn't seem to even know the path or at least doesn't seem to do anything with it. 

If it did than I wouldn't have this issue, because than it would see that designer.exe from program files (version 1) is a different designer.exe than the version 2 which is somewhere else. But it can't make a distinction between the two while the executable filenames are having the exact same names.

That's why I just renamed the filename of the version 1 designer.exe to designer1.exe. Now it sees both executables (designer1.exe and designer.exe) as two different programs and I can set different Wacom setting for both versions.

This will be a problem tho when there wille be a version 3 and Serif doesn't change away from the current v2 installer type and/or we're not able to change this filename and/or Serif is also calling the v3 executable designer.exe. Than we'll have to do something else to make this work.

So if Serif is reading along; this would be easily fixed for all Wacom users by just adding only the mayor software version in the executable filename.

So like designer-v1.exe, designer-v2.exe (not designer-v2.1.3, because than that would be Wacom configuration hell as that would be a wacom configuration per sub-version or it won't even have an application specific configuration!)

Hope this makes sense!