You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overwriting older file formats with the new one without confirmation is a no-no

François R

I did not expect v1 to read the v2 file format, and have not been part of that discussion, but the changed file format is a fact, and therefore this omission is on par with a bug (since it is a management error that this feature is not implemented):

When I open a file in v1 format in v2 of Designer, and make a small change and save, there is no warning that I am overwriting a file saved in the older format with a new format. I am not even notified that the file is in an older format. So it is 100% invisible to the user that there is an update. And thus the file is now finally out of reach of v1 users.

It's a common usability feature in other programs that may be a preference whether to display or not. In that case it should also be possible to turn it off in the notification dialog box (Don't show this again).

It is really bad practice not to protect its customers from such mishaps, which can occur both for individual users but certainly also in commercial environments. And oh... a real scenario for trial users.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.