You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fast question... I'm a photographer as well as a designer, will Photo have the type of image management features common to tools like Aperture? It's already been stated that it will have the retouching and standard photo production tools. For example, right now I work in either Aperture or AfterShot Pro--depending on if I'm on a Mac or a PC at the time--and I'll do any retouch work in either Pixelmator or the GIMP.

• 2 weeks later...

Affinity Photo will still have a selection of vector tools but the output will always to pixels.

Thanks TonyB,

so, saving in .pdf will make all raster? If so I think AD and APhoto will differ-complement each other better than photoshop-illustrator (for what I know photoshop can export in vector, passing in the field of illustrator purpose).

• 1 month later...

One thing I like about photoshop is the separate "Paths" palette and the way it handles path creation. Very similar to illustrator. Paths can be copied and pasted in and selected and used as selections on any layer. This is good for mimicking traditional "airbrush" workflows. I'm hoping "Photo" will have a similar styled setup allowing Designer's paths to come in as paths and not be restricted to special "vector" layers only.

Any insight on this Tony?

Cheers.

• Staff

You can achieve the same thing already by creating a curves layer with no fill or line, then add a pixel layer as a child to it.  The pixel layer will be masked by the path on the curve layer.

Alternatively, you could just add a curve node as a crop to your pixel layer.  That way you can easily copy and paste your path mask if you need to use it across multiple pixel layers.

SerifLabs team - Affinity Developer
  • Software engineer  -  Photographer  -  Guitarist  -  Philosopher
  • iMac 27" Retina 5K (Late 2015), 4.0GHz i7, AMD Radeon R9 M395
  • MacBook (Early 2015), 1.3GHz Core M, Intel HD 5300
  • iPad Pro 10.5", 256GB

You can achieve the same thing already by creating a curves layer with no fill or line, then add a pixel layer as a child to it.  The pixel layer will be masked by the path on the curve layer.

Alternatively, you could just add a curve node as a crop to your pixel layer.  That way you can easily copy and paste your path mask if you need to use it across multiple pixel layers.

Sweet! Sounds great Ben Thanks for that info.

Will it be an open public beta, or a closed beta where we need to join a list? If the latter, is there someplace that I can add my name to the list?

My Adobe CC renews in February, I'm already in love with Designer (though I'd love artboards), so if Photo covers the rest for me then I won't bother renewing CC, as it stands I've already downgraded to the PS+Lightroom package.