You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

CMYK documents, black not matching between vector objects and pixel brush

NotMyFault

Steps to reproduce

1. create new CMYK document (print ready, DIN A4)
  2. Add pixel layer
  3. choose brush tool
  4. choose default black swatch (rich black)
  5. paint a big stroke
  6. choose rectangle shape
  7. choose default black swatch
  8. create rectangle that touches pixel strokes.
  9. see that both black do not match. Brush is K-only and lighter.

Expected:

swatch should create identical colors for vector objects and pixel brushed

observed:

black does not match

relate to

225056FF-418A-4EFD-BE50-AD3CA642D488.png

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Interesting "phenomenon":

To match the 100-100-100-100 of the vector shape as closely as possible, the brush color must be 100-100-99-99

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @NotMyFault,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm I'm able to replicate this on iPad & I'm seeing the same behaviour that loukash has mentioned -

On 11/19/2022 at 8:45 PM, loukash said:

To match the 100-100-100-100 of the vector shape as closely as possible, the brush color must be 100-100-99-99

Therefore I'm logging this with our devs now :)

On 11/19/2022 at 8:05 PM, ashf said:

I think it's the same on Win/Mac.

It seems that the paint brush automatically reduce C100M100Y100K100 to C72M68Y67K88.

I'm not seeing this behaviour on macOS or Windows, but do note that the colour wells switch when changing tools from a vector shape to the Paint Brush tool, which might cause the 'change' you're seeing in colour. When painting in 100,100,100,100 on Desktop, the colour matches the rectangle filled with 100,100,100,100 for me.

Are you able to provide a screen recording of the issue on desktop, if you are still able to replicate this please?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 6 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iPad] Paint Brush Tool using 100,100,100,100 CMYK values doesn't paint the same colour as a vector object using the same values" (REF: AFP-5738) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.1.0.1799".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

No, still unfixed in V2.1

This time: create RGB document, and set color in CMYK color panel.

@Serif Info Bot

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Thanks for letting us know @NotMyFault - the issue has been marked as fixed as the original report was regarding a CMYK document, not an RGB file - and the steps provided in that report are confirmed as resolved.

However, I have tested this with an RGB file also, using the CMYK slider and both the Rectangle and Paint Brush stroke appear the same colour for me, across multiple iPads.

Can you please expand on the result you're seeing and the steps you're taking? :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for letting us know @NotMyFault - the issue has been marked as fixed as the original report was regarding a CMYK document, not an RGB file - and the steps provided in that report are confirmed as resolved.

However, I have tested this with an RGB file also, using the CMYK slider and both the Rectangle and Paint Brush stroke appear the same colour for me, across multiple iPads.

Can you please expand on the result you're seeing and the steps you're taking? :)

Hi Dan,

i get the old bug in both situations:

• rgb doc with cmyk color
  • cmyk doc with rgb color

files attached

IMG_0502.png

IMG_0501.png

rgb cmyk mismatch v210.afphoto cmyk rgb mismatch v210.afphoto

Hi again,

probably I was mixing up two issues.

This seems actually solved, but only for "default" black color swatch.