You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[AD] Shortcuts in (some?) non-latin keyboard layouts don't work

Hi!

Not sure if this has been requested before, or whether it's a bug, or a feature (plz move it accordingly)- but here it is:

Single character keyboard shorcuts don't work when I'm switched in the Greek keyboard layout.

It's not the first program that has this "behavior" and I understand that this is not really a problem per se, but it's something that chips away from the UX! 

The long Description

When does it happen?

This happens in Affinity Designer, mostly when typing text, since we (non-latin-keyboard users) tend to switch languages often.

It's probably related to non-latin alphabets existing in many languages. It happens in Greek for sure. I can't say on what other languages this behavior appears (for a start it doesn't appear in my romanized Chinese keyboard layout for instance)  but there have to be other languages affected too - maybe Cyrillic, Thai or Korean?

Usually when I press a keyboard shortcut and it doesn't work sending the "can't do" system beep sound, I press it again to make sure that I did press the correct key. Then I look at the top-right corner of the screen to see the language-bar keyboard layout flag, and then press Cmd+space to switch back to the US layout. I'm sure many computer users are familiar with that!

The problem

It seems that it is single character shortcuts, that don't work: eg. "α" (that is on the same key as "a") <beeps> and won't switch to the Node Tool,

but modifier keys shortcuts do work: eg. Cmd+"α" will be treated like Cmd+"a" and Perform a Select All.

The desired effect

Would be great if affinity designer had a way to treat them as if they were the same (it's the same key after all)!

It would be great, but it would be undermining the fact that AD is already great!

(it would just be greater) ;-)

thank you,

-Fotis