You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

BUG: LAB spot color export to PDF

BennyD

There's a Bug from V1 which made it's way into V2, too. If you try to export PDFs with custom CIE/LAB spot Colors in Publisher V2, the colors export as spot colors but the color space is converted into Device CMYK.

detailed description here:

___♥___
| | |    | | |

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

WTF affinity? I just got a flyer back from the printer that had spot colors on the back and the front. Only the spot color from the back made it in the print because obviously when you have a masked layer over a spot color layer it is also turned into CMYK. Guys that is a basic functionality and I am pissed big time. Exporting the PDF without the masked layer gets me the spot color on the front page. Guys this is really NOT what I look for when working with designer. The Spot Color management ist quirky and I can work my way around it, but stop making the software convert spot colors to CMYK without telling me. At least offer a decent solution for color separation with PDFs so I don't have to rely on Acrobat Pro. 

150 bucks down the drain. Thanks for nothing.

Back=golden spot color

Front=Cyan should be same gold color

flyer.jpg

EDIT:image.thumb.png.c640c3ea1beacca6e645d17a5bd83e5a.png
It gets better:

Obviously there is a problem with transparencies. When I get rid of the masks and rasterize everything, guess what areas are still in f***ng CMYK?

magenta=Spot color or better said whats left of it. This is a nightmare guys. I really consider switching again...

For everyone that has the exact same problem, here is how you work around that:

Don't use adjustment layers over the spot color layer(s) AT ALL!!!
It will always change the spot color to CMYK no matter what you change in Export settings.

My solution:

1. Instead merge the adjustment layer(s) and the layer you want to adjust with them together (Layers > Merge Down) Solution from this thread
    Still not the complete solution!
  2. When exporting, change the Rasterize option in the export settings to "nothing", Solution from this thread

image.png.cb0cd3a4bfdeb15d8e03e1d0716a875f.png

Works now and will send it to the printer again.

Again @affinity, these things can kill your reputation as an adobe alternative. I hope you know that.

• 9 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @Gigiga,

This issue is still outstanding internally unfortunately, I've now updated the issue to reflect that it still affects the current version and bumped it with your report. If there are any further updates on the issue this thread is tagged so the Serif Info Bot will automatically reply with additional info.