You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher V2 Laggy

I have seen some other threads similar. I have some problems with Publisher becoming more and more laggy as the session progresses. Starts ok if I have started up Mac from scratch. App works ok. Over time the app becomes very laggy. The main issue is typing into text boxes, the actual text takes a second or two before 'catching up' in the box. Other general drags / drops etc also slow up.

I get that this is a new release and fully understand there will be some early fixes to come. Im ok with that but just flagging this as it is becoming a sense of urgency issue for me. Thanks.

6 hours ago, iceritchie said:

I have seen some other threads similar. I have some problems with Publisher becoming more and more laggy as the session progresses. Starts ok if I have started up Mac from scratch. App works ok. Over time the app becomes very laggy. The main issue is typing into text boxes, the actual text takes a second or two before 'catching up' in the box. Other general drags / drops etc also slow up.

I get that this is a new release and fully understand there will be some early fixes to come. Im ok with that but just flagging this as it is becoming a sense of urgency issue for me. Thanks.

Thanks guys. Also will try the performance setting.

Mac OS BigSur 11.3, 2GHz Quad Core, i5, 16GB.

5 hours ago, iceritchie said:

OK so turned hardware acceleration off, but the more I use the app the more I find it laggy still. In fact the coloured ball rotates for ages while scrolling the text styles and sometimes when selecting menu options. Right now I fear it is unusable.

Please ensure you have turned off System Preferences > Displays > Automatically Adjust Brightness. This setting can cause frequent beachballs with Affinity.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.0 for macOS Sonoma 14.4, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 11/26/2022 at 2:37 PM, MikeTO said:

Please ensure you have turned off System Preferences > Displays > Automatically Adjust Brightness. This setting can cause frequent beachballs with Affinity.

Thanks

However it is still an issue. Seems to get worse the more im using the app. I think I will need to revert to Affinity v1 as this is now really slowing my workflow.

On 11/28/2022 at 2:20 PM, iceritchie said:

Thanks

However it is still an issue. Seems to get worse the more im using the app. I think I will need to revert to Affinity v1 as this is now really slowing my workflow.

I've done the same. Publisher V2 is ok for single page items, but as I've posted previously, I had trouble with a 40 page booklet exporting to PDF for print. Same booklet in Publisher V1 exports just fine (which includes linked PDF, TIFF, and even EPS images/art).

Yeah the more I work in Affinity Publisher 2 the more laggy and slow it becomes and in fact it crashes or gives a spinning beachball for ages every time I access the text styles list. Definitely I have to unfortunately regress to Affinity 1 until a fix is released.  Are bugs picked up here or in a ticket?

Is there a way to open or export V2 files in V1

41 minutes ago, iceritchie said:

Is there a way to open or export V2 files in V1

No but you can copy/paste from v2 to v1. You could of course save as a PDF and open that in v1 but that won't work well for long documents.

I'm not sure what is causing your performance issue so you may have to wait for Serif to catch up and reply. I'm experiencing no performance issues with demanding documents in v2. I've tried every combination of performance settings and the only one which slows down my Mac is the "software" setting.

Good luck

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

1 hour ago, MikeTO said:

No but you can copy/paste from v2 to v1. You could of course save as a PDF and open that in v1 but that won't work well for long documents.

I'm not sure what is causing your performance issue so you may have to wait for Serif to catch up and reply. I'm experiencing no performance issues with demanding documents in v2. I've tried every combination of performance settings and the only one which slows down my Mac is the "software" setting.

Good luck

Yeah its odd. But I have them side by side now as I have documents on V2 that I can't re-open in V1 and also I just started a document that I shifted to V1 before I went to far. Cut / Paste. The documents are same but clearly im seeing a performance gap between the two. From opening documents which takes longer in V2, some lag on text entry to a frame to the spinning beachball on many functions and specifically long delay on the text styles. Odd but unusable for me.Im hoping we see a first patch update soon.

6 hours ago, Denis Taylor said:

Sounds like many issues for mac desktop users. I'm unsure what advantage V2 has for V1 looks as if this V2 revamp is for ipads etc...think I shall wait to see if ghe bugs are sorted on Ventura.

There are a LOT of new features. Scroll down this page and click on What's new for the list of new features in Publisher v2. There are similar pages for Designer and Photo.

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/publisher/full-feature-list/

Happens to me with Affinity designer v2 , works like butter when i launch it, but after some time of use it starts to lag, and theres a delay on any action (select an object, move around thing, change between artboards)  it takes like 3 to 5 sec . Things seems to get worse the more i use the application.

Windows 11 , 16 gb ram, rtx 3060 i5 11600k .

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2022 at 6:31 AM, iceritchie said:

Anyone know if this is fixed in the latest updated 0.3

Actually checked an it isnt. Im not sure if the laggy behaviour of text entry and text styles has been acknowledged as an issue to solve. My confidence is dropping on V2 and have reverted to all V1 apps again. V2 unusable for me right now.

We have another thread where we've agreed that there's a speed bug with the Text Styles panel - Serif hasn't had an opportunity to confirm it yet but it's likely what you're encountering.

It seems that turning off hierarchical styles and samples in the Text Styles panel allows you to work at normal speed. Alternatively, quitting and restarting Publisher will resolve it.

Good luck

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, JPBERUTTI910 said:

How about Designer? Did you guys fix some of the performance?

By saying "performance improved in longer sessions" are you saying that it's normal to experience slowdowns and choppiness after long periods of work?

It's not normal to have performance slow in long sessions but there were bugs in 2.0.3 that caused performance to quickly drop in some cases. Those bugs were fixed in 2.0.4 so please try the update and see for yourself. I was experiencing degraded performance in longer sessions but not any longer.

Also, some Windows users reported that switching from the MSIX to MSI installer led to measurable performance gains - you can find their reports in the forums, so since you're a Windows user you may wish to consider that.

Cheers