You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Syncing master pages with normal pages - not working!

Hi, 

Affinity publisher 2

Does anyone know how to reply a master element so it once again syncs. For example I have a page number element on the master. If I change the font size or colour, it does not sync across the pages. This has happened even though I never edited the master element on a normal (non master) page. Obviously I can reapply the master page to the normal pages and this fixes it, but again if I change the element it doesn't sync. In the layers panel you can see a dotted green line and solid green line (screenshot attached). There rooted line means it has been detached and I don't know how to reattached.

Thanks.

CleanShot 2022-11-18 at 15.47.37@2x.jpg

You'll need to re-apply the master.

The dotted green line indicates that this text layer from the master has been modified on the regular page. You don't have to detach a text layer to modify it on a regular page, just clicking into it and typing will modify it and give you the dashed line.

If you type into a master text layer on a regular page then any further changes you make to it on the master won't be applied aside from x/y/w/h.

What text is in this layer on the master? Are you by chance typing the number manually into this text layer on each regular page or are you using auto page numbering?

Cheers

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

It’s an insert page number item. I don’t touch it on the non master pages. However I could be working for a few hours and decide to change the item on the master pages. Then I find it no longer syncs. I reapply the master and everything works. But immediately if I change the item it no longer syncs again. For me it is broken and there is no way I tell to make the dotted line solid again.

17 minutes ago, davidlower8 said:

It’s an insert page number item. I don’t touch it on the non master pages. However I could be working for a few hours and decide to change the item on the master pages. Then I find it no longer syncs. I reapply the master and everything works. But immediately if I change the item it no longer syncs again. For me it is broken and there is no way I tell to make the dotted line solid again.

I can't duplicate this. I just opened my book file and tried modifying the page number in the footer. I added some extra text and changed the character attributes and the changes appeared immediately on the pages based on that master.

You should only have gotten that dashed line beside it on a regular page if you modified it on that page so I'm not sure what to say. But if this has happened, your only recourse is to re-apply the master. Sorry.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

On 11/19/2022 at 6:28 AM, davidlower8 said:

I could be working for a few hours and decide to change the item on the master pages. Then I find it no longer syncs.

Try using a Paragraph Style for the Page numbers. Then you can change an awful lot of stuff just by editing the Paragraph Style's definitions.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 2 months later...