You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Ipad storage mismanagement

I recently upgraded my iCloud quota, and started monitoring device and iCloud storage and the results were disturbing. 

After multiple sessions and hours with Apple support they couldnt figure out what was wrong, finally by uninstalling or offloading the apps my device storage dropped 80 gb.

Apps involved included

• Affinity Photo
  • Apple Books
  • Apple Photo

I also found, deleted files were retained in APhoto sandbox. Offloading Affinity Photo fixed that too.

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/167914-affinity-sandbox-data/

My photos also had a huge disparity between cloud and device. 
After numerous Apple support session’s off loading the apps fixed the problem, Apple support gave no explanation. This was not a temporary problem, but went on for weeks.

books.jpg

cloud books.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 11/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Affinity Rat said:

After multiple sessions and hours with Apple support they couldnt figure out what was wrong, finally by uninstalling or offloading the apps my device storage dropped 80 gb.

Hi Affinity Rat, I’ve seen this issue reported many times. In some instance devices showed more gb stored than was even available on the iPad. Clearly some sort of miscalculation or files not clearing there caches properly. Developers are aware of these issues but I suspect it’s more an iOS issue.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Yes no question this is an IOS problem, the way the iPad manages memory, then notifies you your device is full and need to increase icloud allocation, makes me wonder if this behavior is by design.

Last week couldnt copy files from the iPad photos app “to files” on my ipad, it said I didnt have rights, took it in to Apple support (in store), they couldnt figure it out, but showed me that screenshots and new photos could be copied to file. These same files that couldnt be copied to my device could be copied to Dropbox. What I believe was happening was, I had run files thru a batch process on PC to decrease size by factor of 10, and since these files were initially generated on a PC it wouldnt allow them to be copied from iPad photos app to the ipad.

The strange thing is that they originally got on the ipad from the PC using the Apple “Files app”, and saving to Ipad then from there added to the Apple “Photo app”, but couldnt copy them back to the ipad.

I was doing this because I wanted the photos to be arranged hierarchically in the Photo app which apppears impossible unless they are the structure created prior to loading on ipad.

Apple does play well with others.

D5AD6D31-3753-4CF6-B20E-9DEE2A7D50F1.png

• 4 weeks later...

Zombie files from hell.

Today I ran into a new incidence of memory management, I was trying to create space on my iPad but deleting GB of files made no difference. My Safari browser had 58GB of files in its cache, or what I presume to be its cache.

After a little research I read that that local cache files can not be deleted by the user. The iPad os decides when and where what files are deleted, based on user behavior, free space etc. I assume this pertains to all Affinity products also. Yes there are places to click to clear data, but that seems to be at the discretion of the ios.