You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi. I hope you dont mind me asking this question but I have got Photo not Designer and before this I was using PS to create line art from my drawings so I could digitally colour create them. 

I tried to use the process that I used before in Photo but I could not recreate some of the steps. I realise that things work differently but hoping that there is still a better way to do it then I ended up making. The process I used to use is below. The problem I have is that I cannot find a way to do the steps that I have marked in red. I ended up using the magic tool to select the white areas but it kept missing bits and was not a good solution for me and took very long and my selection was quite shabby and pixelated once I had finished. Can you advise what sort of process (if any) i can use in Photo to recreate this please. I dont want to have to buy Designer yet while I am still a beginner and learning the ropes in Photo.  

Creating Line art from Scans

* Open scanned image in Photoshop

* Make a copy of original layer and rename for easier finding

* Adjustment layer – Black & White

* Option box - check all options are in the middle default position of scale. If any altered bring back to middle.

* Adjustment layer – Levels

* Adjust as required to create more contrast and get rid of any unused white areas

* Adjustment layer – Curves

* Create S shape to enhance image

* Go back to Copy layer and zoom into 100% and then go to Unsharp Mask

* Big radius – 120 – 150%

* Amount – 60 -90%

* Threshold – low – 12 - 14%

Touching up image to remove blemishes

* Go to Brush and choose a standard brush using the black and white colours to remove any blemishes on image so image is clean

* Then delete original layer

Define line art

* Select – Colour Range – options box – Select sampled colours/selection Preview-Grayscale/Invert/Image

* Then use colour picker and click on white area within image – OK

* This then creates marching ants around the line art with only the black lines selected

* Select/Modify/Smooth – 2 pixels

* Optional: Select/Modify/Contract – 1 pixel

* Then fill the selection with black. Make sure foreground colour is black and then ALT+backspace to fill with black.

* Invert selection again so white selected

* Then hit Delete and white background removed so line art is now on transparent background.

* Deselect with Control + D

* Save this as a PS layer file for future use

well i guess that the lines in red describe the steps you are used to in photoshop and can't easily reproduce in AP.

i could not understand what is the effect of the first line in red, but at that point i tried a different approach, after the "delete original layer" step.

i applied a very slight gaussian blur, then a threshold adjustment.

then i created a new pixel layer with the result of the adjustments using the "merge visible" command.

finally, on this new layer i applied a detect edges filter, selected the white color (magic wand, not contiguous), and then edit=>cut.

the final result was the uotline of the original image, in black, with a transparent background.

take care,

stefano

Thanks both. Yes it was the steps in red that I could not work out how to reproduce in AP. Baringa thanks for your ideas I will try that. Is there a way that you can work out that you can fill the line selection with black to make it a pure outline? I tried to use the fill command in AP but did not go quite according to plan.

Asha I will definitely look at playing with the Tonal Range options as was not aware that you could use this for selections. 

I understand that there are several different options for selecting things in AP and need to understand how these work, and learn a new process.

asmatartz,

i forgot a step: after applying the edge detect filter, i inverted the resulting image.

about filling the lines, i just tried by feathering a bit the selection of the white areas, inverting the selection and painting black on the image with a very thick brush; the invert the selection again and cut out the white.

take care,

stefano