You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color picker isn't accurately matching colors

jeffreydevey

Which document color format, color profile are you using?

black is a bit nasty in cmyk, as we have k only black, rich black, CMY only black. Your chosen black shows a very rich black, total ink about 300, this may explain the issue. 

in my experiments, i always get k only black when using color sampler. And in many cases, the sampled color wont get activated by first click, but requires multiple clicks, or even sampling a different color.

do you have any adjustment layers above the pixel layer, or other layers blending above?

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@NotMyFault The document is CMYK, but the issue persists with other colors as well (attached example 2). I'm using the same document mode and workflow I've carried over from v1, and never experienced the issue with that version.

If I assign vector objects the 100% K swatch and the rich black swatch, respectively, then switch to the Pixel Persona and assign the same swatches to my brush, the 100% K swatch appears to match, but the rich black does not (attached example 3).

No adjustment layers are in effect in either example, and no "wet edges" or other settings are in effect on the pixel brush that would give me that result. I have gotten the same results with other brushes as well, including the stock round "Basic" brushes.

Ok, can confirm now.

happens only in v2.

exact steps to reproduce:

1. create new print ready din a4 document
  2. create rectangle in rich black using default swatch
  3. create rectangle in K only black by using cmyk sliders
  4. switch to pixel persona
  5. add pixel layer
  6. use brush tool
  7. sample color from rich black
  8. color is shown as rich black in color studio, but brush paints in K only black

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

The issue can be shown in less steps (picker not required)

1. create new cmyk document
  2. add pixel layer
  3. use pixel persona
  4. use brush
  5. select rich black
  6. Brush creates K only pixels, not matching selected color

We may have multiple issues:

• Pixel Brush applying different color than set in color panel
  • Color Picker not picking correct color

Based on your report, I’m currently can only reproduce the first issue - occurs independent from color picker.

I will check again tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

We may have multiple issues:

• Pixel Brush applying different color than set in color panel
  • Color Picker not picking correct color

Based on your report, I’m currently can only reproduce the first issue - occurs independent from color picker.

I will check again tomorrow.

The issue seems to present itself more with high-saturation, low-luminosity colors based on my experience so far. Thanks for looking into it.

Are you a Serif employee? It's not immediately obvious to me who is a user and who is an employee on this forum.

I've attached another example below where I created several vector objects in different colors. The top row has varying hues, but are all 100% saturated with a luminosity setting of 10%. The bottom row maintains the same hue and saturation settings, but the luminosity for each has been set at 50%. As you can see, the problem appears to be isolated to the top row of objects.

9 hours ago, jeffreydevey said:

Are you a Serif employee? It's not immediately obvious to me who is a user and who is an employee on this forum

No, regular user. Moderators have a red “Moderators” indication below their profile picture.

The color picker is perfectly fine. The bug is only related to pixel brush (Designer and Photo, iPad only)

The video shows a complex test case to allow to differentiate.

• 3 rectangles with different types of black (or any other color you want).
  • a circular shape testing picker with vector shapes
  • a polygon shape testing pixel layers, either using fill, or pixel brush

in the video i cycle through the different ways, always picking from the reference black rectangles, and then using the 3 ways to fill the shape in the middle. To proof the picked color is used, i temporary switch to white or blue so we can be sure the black comes from the picker.

To make the difference clearly visible, i use blend mode difference and a levels adjustment to amplify the delta. If the color of the shape exactly matches one of the blacks, it has acquired that color.

Only the pixel

brush malfunctions.

CMYK iPad brush color picker.afphoto

In the video i  repeated the process using fill tool twice, and forgot to show the case using brush. You can probably do it on your own. 😇

The issue can be triggered totally simple (in Photo, because we need channel panel)

• new cmyk document
  • new pixel layer
  • pixel brush
  • choose cmyk slider in color studio.
  • Slide m and y to e.g. 50%
  • now move c slider between 0 and 100%, and paint a wide stroke
  • now select c channel in channels panel to be visible
  • again, now move c slider between 0 and 100%, and paint
  • you can see than any cyan below 50% gets converted automatically into K. Only above 50% (or whatever the level is for magenta/yellow), cyan will be added.

this bug is unrelated to color picker. It is a bug how cmyk colors get normallized to transform all grey by mixing cmy into K (only for pixel brush, not for vetcor shapes or fill tool).

On 11/20/2022 at 10:58 AM, jeffreydevey said:

It's not immediately obvious to me who is a user and who is an employee on this forum.

Employees have Staff under there sig on left of posts (under icon), moderators are also identified. The rest are members🙂

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

On 11/19/2022 at 6:58 PM, jeffreydevey said:

It's not immediately obvious to me who is a user and who is an employee on this forum.

A picture to go along with DM1's description. Note: the top screenshot is how you'd see them on a device with a large enough screen. The bottom is from a phone.

image.thumb.png.525773350f194db922ae991c3edce268.png

Screenshot_20221121-081356.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Was this bug fixed? I cannot reproduce any more with 2.0.3.321

15 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

Was this bug fixed? I cannot reproduce any more with 2.0.3.321

Following your recipe, it now tests ok on my iPad too.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• 2 weeks later...

Bug still unfixed in 2.0.4.

I found a much easier way to show bug:

• new document (sRGB)
  • add pixel layer
  • add rectangle with large stroke, no fill
  • select both layers
  • use color panel / color studio to set colors in various color modes

results:

• RGB, HSL, LAB: ok
  • CMYK: strong difference 
  • GREY: difference in shadows up to ca. 18%, then identical.

While observation is correct an reproducible, this could be an unrelated new bug.

i filed a new bug report for investigation.

• 4 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iPad] Paint Brush Tool using 100,100,100,100 CMYK values doesn't paint the same colour as a vector object using the same values" (REF: AFP-5738) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.1.0.1799".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us

Bug still unfixed in V2.1 @Serif Info Bot

• crate ne rgb file
  • add pixel layer
  • add any shape (rectangle)
  • group both together
  • set color for group in CMYK mode-> different colors for both layers