You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

AutoTrace (convert raster image to vector) in Affinity Designer V2?

26 minutes ago, v_kyr said:

Looks like a reuse of the Potrace algorithm, which has been translated from C into/for a bunch of other prog languages routines too (GitHub is full of such ports).

Here's how a default Potrace will trace that, also in B/W (via the DragPotrace GUI for Potrace)...

drag-potrace.jpg.c692d6045c08755e7d34d1cee0b97701.jpg

And here's what Vtracer makes out of it ...

vtracer-online.jpg.f42e598566ee66a37412719b881fc242.jpg

Hi

Yes, I'm sorry, I only think about what I use it for. I work exclusively with designs for Laser and CNC engraving and everything is black and white 🙂

But if you look below the images there is a slider where you can adjust the Brigthness Threshold and it does wonders.

My picture showed Threshold 138 and at 38 it was perfect.

dragons-vector-vp.jpg

dragons-vector-vp2029-72-vectorize.svg

40 minutes ago, Kauna - Design said:

I have just tested this and I guess this is what you are looking for. 

Not sure if you mean me here, or the OP?  I'm personally not looking after any tracers since I already know most of them already.

The one you linked to above is already (for long time) on the list of third party tracer tools ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, v_kyr said:

Not sure if you mean me here, or the OP?  I'm personally not looking after any tracers since I already know most of them already.

The one you linked to above is already (for long time) on the list of third party tracer tools ...

Thanks everyone for all this Homework… I missed some of these great previous threads but I haven’t needed to do these kinds of conversions for quite a number of years…at least not in the volume that I once did…so haven’t really been looking either…

But I will revisit them …Thanks again.

• 3 months later...

It's such a bummer that this relatively simple, yet essential functionality is still not onboard in Affinity Designer V2. Sure, you can do it online, with mixed results. But it's a lot of back and forth, potential security issues and general nuisance. I'm not too impressed with the image recognition functionalities in Affinity Photo V2 either. I can't see any (significant) difference in Inpainting, Background Removal and such from V1.
And since this is tangential to the Algorithms used in AutoTrace, converting Bitmap into Vector, the question should be asked;
Will Affinity continue to be competitive with ever new graphics capabilities following new Softwares, Hardwares and even AI?

Affinity is affordable for hobbyists as well as professionals. And let's hope they always will be. And to be able to stay at this user's comfort prices, with good and at times great Software, we cannot expect everything. Adobe's packages are great. But it's VASTLY overpriced software, which even slaps on a 50% increase in the price for European users, and you don't even get to own the damn thing. That's abuse of privilege and it has moved me to chuck Adobe overboard!

But still, an AutoTrace function is yesterday's technology in this scope, really. So, it beggars belief that it is still not included in Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and Affinity Publisher 2. It's hard as a user to judge how much such functionalities would influence the price in a negative way. But inching ever closer to Adobe in functionalities and keeping retail prices down could potentially torpedo Adobe.

I know there has been A LOT of grumblings about Adobe's insane prices in photo and graphics fora I'm following. The fact that you don't buy, but rather just rent Adobe Software and the discrimination against European Customers all are points that don't sit well, even with profssionals. With an "Adobe Reputation" and with comfortable prices for hobbyists as well as professionals and a bit of marketing, the Sales VOLUME of Affinity has the potential to explode! There's a huge market tired of the Adobe Extortion, waiting for something new, better and much cheaper. I believe firmly that Affinity is in the lead to cap this market. But it needs a more solid core of functionalities in order to get there. And I can't see that with V2. Yet…