You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Dodge and burn non destructively in V2

Does this help, rasterise the fill layer prior to painting on it for dodging and burning.

image.png.fbdb17ce020866c4fe7c37a52288ada6.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Does this help, rasterise the fill layer prior to painting on it for dodging and burning.

...but when I use the dodge or burn brush of the regular brush nothing happens.....niot sure why they change the window of fill 

image.png.fbdb17ce020866c4fe7c37a52288ada6.png

Dodge and burn won't work on a fill layer, it has to be rasterised in order for you to be able to paint pixels of white or black on it.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

14 minutes ago, srg said:

I always did with the previous versions. 

It kind of worked somehow, but only by chance/bug. Actually the inherent mask of the fill got impacted, but the selection of shadow/midtown/highlights was a bit erratic. Working on a pixel layer is the far better workflow.

In V2 the results got even more erratic. I can only advise to adjust the workflow to one of the many supported / documented ways. - use pixel layers, e.g. rasterized fill layers.
Working on inherent masks of fill layers has severe disadvantages: blend gamma is not applied, blend modes work different. 

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Dodge and burn won't work on a fill layer, it has to be rasterised in order for you to be able to paint pixels of white or black on it.

It works on the inherent mask of fill layers, but I think this is erratic and not officially supported.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

I don’t use Dodge/Burn much, and don’t really know how to use them properly, but does painting in grey onto a Pixel Layer which has the “Colour Burn” or “Colour Dodge” Blend Mode do what is wanted here? (Switch between painting in light grey when burning and dark grey when dodging.)
See attached video for a very-crudely-done example.

My favourite way is to use 2 curves adjustment layers, one for lightening the other for darkening, both inverted and use the built in masks to paint in where you need the effect. This gives the extra control & fine tuning by being able to adjust the curve, layer opacity and blend modes.

I dodge & burn quite a lot. A PS content creator on YouTube, done a video showing that there is no need to fill a pixel layer with 50% grey.

• Just add a blank pixel layer, set the blend mode to Overlay or Soft Light.
  • Colors set to Black and White, so you can switch, Black for Burn and White for Dodge.
  • Brush, reduce the Opacity to around 20% or a little less. Hardness to 0.
  • Brush on the pixel layer. It will do the exact same as if you filled it with 50% grey.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

There are many ways to dodge and burn.

One aspect which is overlooked by almost all non-destructive workflows:

• The destructive dodge & burn tool can select "tonal range" shadows/mid-tones/highlights to choose which areas get affected
  • These choice does only work on the layer itself. There is no "current & below" option (known from inpaint tools etc) which would allow this in non-destructive variants with 2 or more layers
  • You can simulate the "tonal range" effect by using either blend ranges, or the new V2 luminosity live mask layer
  • Similar, "protect hue" is unavailable in non-destructive variants.

I file a feature request to get this added.

my simple question was why AP decided to change the normal way to dodge/burn in a non destructive way which is fill-->50%opacity-->apply-->blend mode Overlay and then use the dodge too or the white brush at the desired strength. In V2 this cannot be done and if in fill-->opacity at 50% it does not work. This must be a bug, and a bad bug.

1 hour ago, srg said:

my simple question was why AP decided to change the normal way to dodge/burn in a non destructive way which is fill-->50%opacity-->apply-->blend mode Overlay and then use the dodge too or the white brush at the desired strength. In V2 this cannot be done and if in fill-->opacity at 50% it does not work. This must be a bug, and a bad bug.

I don't know why it's not working for you. I just tried it and it works as it should.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

There is no change in behavior between V1 and V2.

the probable cause for you observed difference is brush issues. Re-select a basic round brush for dodge and burg tool.

to test:

1. create a fill layer in black (from color swatch)
  2. add another fill layer in gray (from color swatch)
  3. activate burn tool
  4. select shadows
  5. select basic round brush. This is highly important to check that the correct brush is active!
  6. set flow and accumulation and hardness to 100% (max effect), size to 256
  7. sic Make a few brush strokes from left to right in the lower part.
  8. choose mid-tones
  9. make a few brush strokes in the middle
  10. choose highlights
  11. make a few brush strokes in the upper part
  12. now choose the dodge tool
  13. again, make brush strokes in separate areas for shadow, mid-tones, highlights, but this time from top to bottom, and in the left / middle / right section of the canvas.

this process produces identical results in V1 and V2.

but to make it totally clear: using fill layers (directly, without rasterizing) for dodge and burn does not make sense. Neither in V1, nor in V2. Because you are affecting the mask of the fill, not the color. This makes a severe difference: alpha channel is treated without gamma correction in blending, whereas colors get gamma corrected. and more important: blend mode overlay will not show any effect. Because the fill color stays unchanged at 50 gray, and the different alpha values do not matter. Other blend modes can show an effect, like color burn or dolor dodge.