You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Making a distress layer for a logo

Hey! 

I'm designing a logo for my company and I'm trying to make it so that I don't have to have a background on it. I've got all the elements in place and now I'd like to make a grungy distress thing on the whole thing. I've got all my logo stuff in one group and then a bunch of tiny vector grunge shapes in the other, and now i'd like to cut out the distress part from the logo. I thought the mask would do the trick, but it actually just shows the parts of the logo that are inside the distressed vector, so I'd need to invert the process. 

I'm propably not expaining myself in the clearest possible way, but hopefully someone could help! 

Cheers before hand!

Jani

Damn, that was quick, thanks guys!

DWright here's a pic. The white objects are vectors that I'd want cut out of the logo.

MEB, erase does the trick but I'd rather have the whole thing as vectors just in case I've got to do bigger prints out of it. The mask tool is kinda in the right track, but I'd need it inverted somehow. I could go through every element of course, but that'd be a shit load of work, so looking for an easy exit here =)

post-5357-0-90634700-1453468224_thumb.png

post-5357-0-76634700-1453468489_thumb.png

In order to make an inverted mask.....

Put a filled rectangle over your entire document, do a boolean subtract using the grunge layer. 

Use the result as your mask  B) .

(you could just do a grunge subtract directly on the logo itself, but that's totally destructive)

• Staff

Damn, that was quick, thanks guys!

DWright here's a pic. The white objects are vectors that I'd want cut out of the logo.

MEB, erase does the trick but I'd rather have the whole thing as vectors just in case I've got to do bigger prints out of it. The mask tool is kinda in the right track, but I'd need it inverted somehow. I could go through every element of course, but that'd be a shit load of work, so looking for an easy exit here =)

Yes, that's what i thought but i don't have a better suggestion at this point. What JoePoe suggests will do it for simple textures. But if you have to perform complex boolean operations (with dozens of objects involved which seems to be the case here) you will probably run into performance issues. I'm still looking into this.

Hi MEB..... very interesting to know. You're right, I did run into an issue..... but there is a way around it. My test below.

If I tried to Boolean Add all the dots (over 1000) at once.... major hang (if I had waited, who knows how long.... it might have finished).

So I grabbed 200 or so at a time. The Add did take a couple of seconds, but it was fine. I made six "groups".

(on more complex shapes with more nodes I guess I would grab fewer at a a time??....)

Now for the fascinating part....

Adding all the groups together was a complete breeze. I mean in an instant .

Now I had just one object of all the circles. 

Fully expecting a freeze/hang... I went for it :D . One single subtract on the rectangle.

Once again, worked in an instant.

So my advice....

Add the grunge together in manageable sections, maybe a quarter at a time, then Add those four together..... and you should be fine. (based on my one single experiment :wacko: ... + fingers crossed emoji).

post-12544-0-50740300-1453483965_thumb.png

JoePoe, awesome tip! Wish I would have come up with that on my own, just to show mad skillz =D Trying it now, and went with too many objects to start with as Designer seemed to freeze, but I'll take it a few bits at a time and it should be fine. Thank you so much!

Oval, cheers! Got so into this grunge thing I was about to forget kerning... Did it for the Thirdhand Store but everything else still needs to be checked. And also spotted a misspelling while looking at the kerning, so thank you for that too! Third hand on the armadillo =D Maybe it's freaky enough already, don't want to scare the customers... ...too much.