You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer V2 pixel persona - no invert selection option?

Winoo1

Hello, i've been struggling with trivial problem. I can't find invert selection in pixel persona in AD V2. I've been trying everything and i'm getting crazy. I need to remove some part of the image and can't do that. Could enybody please help with that ?

Thanks in advance

I was just about to report this bug as well.

there is no ui button or option to invert pixel selection in the pixel persona. 
You can only use a hardware keyboard shortcut of cmd+shift+i.

Also when you use the keyboard shortcut the selection ants does not change to indicate the inverse.

I notice the ui element is present in affinity photo 2 under the selection icon but yet affinity designer 2 has very limited options.

5 minutes ago, StudioJason said:

Context Toolbar holds the quick ‘Invert Selection’.

Numerous ways to make Selections….Tools, Channels, etc.

Thanks, but your screenshot is from Photo, and the topic is about Designer's Pixel Persona.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

29 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, but your screenshot is from Photo, and the topic is about Designer's Pixel Persona.

Sorry…for Designer, switch Personas…must be how they opted to combine things perhaps.

For Designer always the simple Adjustment though.

Make Selection by switching to Pixel Persona….use Tools, etc.

Switch back to Designer….use Adjustments.

IMG_0434.png

IMG_0435.jpeg

This is not helpful. This feature was available in designer 1 as a long one finger press. You shouldn’t have to go through all that for a simple thing as inverse selection. It is also available if you have a hardware keyboard which you shouldn’t need for an iPad. All features must be accessible for the iPad without kb attachment.

This is clearly an omission and should not be defended with work arounds. Also the selection ants like I stated when using a kb using cmd+shift+I does not change which is also a bug.

2 hours ago, Winoo1 said:

well, i do not have hardware keyboard, so.....crucial option, and it's not there...

i was on your side in reporting the bug not saying get a kb. That would be ridiculous.

Just now, Cjwebdesign said:

This is clearly an omission and should not be defended with work arounds

I don't think anyone is defending it. 

And knowing workarounds is helpful, as it gives us a way to perform the function while we wait for the proper solution. You're right, it should be fixed.

Serif staff have not had time to get to this report yet, but they will.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

I don't think anyone is defending it. 

And knowing workarounds is helpful, as it gives us a way to perform the function while we wait for the proper solution. You're right, it should be fixed.

Serif staff have not had time to get to this report yet, but they will.

This is not even a work around, i don’t see an inverse selection, I see weird colour being inverted in the selection he made so how does this help. This is for reporting a bug and his entry diminishes the fact we are reporting a bug and that I’m not using the app the right way.

The feature needs to be there just like affinity 1. Period.

I agreed it should be fixed. Serif is busy, but they will get here.

I also agree that the workaround isn't. It uses an Invert adjustment, which is not the same thing as inverting the pixel selection.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, StudioJason said:

Could also try…Select Sampled Color.

Thanks, but that is also not the "invert pixel selection" function. The function we're looking for is the one where, if you have a set of pixels selected (surrounded by marching ants), you invert the selection so that everything outside the marching ants becomes selected.

-- Walt
PC:

19 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks, but that is also not the "invert pixel selection" function. The function we're looking for is the one where, if you have a set of pixels selected (surrounded by marching ants), you invert the selection so that everything outside the marching ants becomes selected.

Ahhhh my bad. Thought it was merely trying to make selection to invert.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope you don't mind me posting this on the bugs forum to bring more attention to it. Cause this should definitely be filed as a bug. I mean sure it could be a missing feature, but something as crucial as "Invert Selection" should not be missing in the app. Specially when it's a part of the basic selection tool sets and was there in V1 as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/11/2022 at 5:45 AM, Wickster said:

hope you don't mind me posting this on the bugs forum to bring more attention to it. Cause this should definitely be filed as a bug

2 hours ago, saraartist said:

Thought I was going crazy since i was unable to find this feature on ipad

The latest customer beta (available in iPad beta forum). Fixed.

7D12DF92-DF5B-40B1-9814-A5234B49AB0A.jpeg

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

• Staff
5 minutes ago, DM1 said:

The latest customer beta (available in iPad beta forum). Fixed.

At the moment there are no beta builds newer than the latest release. We have now released the official 2.0.3 to all customers. We do not recommend using the last beta build rather than the new release. 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

13 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

At the moment there are no beta builds newer than the latest release. We have now released the official 2.0.3 to all customers. We do not recommend using the last beta build rather than the new release. 

Thanks Patrick. Just checked and sure enough the latest Affinity updates appeared in our Oz App Store this morning.👍

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

2 minutes ago, Cjwebdesign said:

I do not see any changes to the selection menu.

The change isn't to the selection menu. It's an addition to the long-press menu while you have an active pixel selection.

-- Walt
PC:

17 minutes ago, Cjwebdesign said:

As you can see I amended my post to show the long press and it is not there.

Can you click on Account on the home page and confirm you're on 2.0.3?

-- Walt
PC: