You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Please offer .exe or .msi for V2 instead of .MSIX

Please offer .EXE or .MSI (or an install free) version of Affinity photo V2.

MSIX does not even run out-of-the-box on (my) Windows system, (and yes I do run the latest updates offered, but I should never have to put an disclaimer like this in the first place) there shouldn't be any fuss when installing any software bought for an explicit OS. Why would anyone need to Google how to install software and find out they have to install other software or tweak their OS, just to be able to install bought software? Before this purchase I have never heard of, or encountered the .MSIX format and my Windows machine does not know what to do with it either.

Why be an 'early adapter', WITHOUT OFFERING AN BACKUP ALTERNATIVE, while the OS developer itself doesn't even have their groundwork done for it yet?

I, and as I suspect many others, only find out this after buying, while on the forums it shows you were informed of problems, yet you did not offer this information CLEARLY before you sold the software, please fix this: it costs you your reputation and it will confuse first time buyers which may never come back.

Please don't try to be ahead of the herd, your paying customers are not guinea pigs: most (if not all) expect to buy, install and launch without any hick ups.
Experiment what you want with beta's, but please don't fix what isn't broken: stability and reliability should have priority!

I did not upgrade from V1 to V2 to figure out how to solve a problem that didn't exist before I bought the upgrade: you've should at least have warned us before buying that you've decided to go down an experimental path.

Thank you for your products and services, these are appreciated, but please don't experiment with paying customers without a heads-up and their consent, thank you.

1 hour ago, NoIDontWantAnAccount said:

MSIX does not even run out-of-the-box on (my) Windows system, (and yes I do run the latest updates offered, but I should never have to put an disclaimer like this in the first place) there shouldn't be any fuss when installing any software bought for an explicit OS. Why would anyone need to Google how to install software and find out they have to install other software or tweak their OS, just to be able to install bought software? Before this purchase I have never heard of, or encountered the .MSIX format and my Windows machine does not know what to do with it either.

What version of Windows are you running?

1 hour ago, NoIDontWantAnAccount said:

MSIX does not even run out-of-the-box on (my) Windows system

Stated system requirements for the Windows versions of the apps are Windows 11 or Windows 10 20H1 or later: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/full-feature-list/

Per Microsoft, Windows 10 1709 or later supports MSIX out of the box: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/photo/full-feature-list/

1709 is from 2017, while 20H1 is from 2020; if your version of Windows does not support MSIX out of the box, it most likely was already customized (and messed up or intentionally locked down in some way) or else does not meet the system requirements for running the Affinity v2 apps.

I totally agree that there should be an .EXE or .MSI version. The .MSIX version installed fine on my system, but the problem I have is that other programs can not call up an instance of Affinity. For example, in my workflow I use ACDSee to manage my photos, and love using Affinity Photo to edit the photos. Unfortunately I can no longer link directly to the Affinity Photo 2 app through the "External Editor" function as there is no .EXE app on my computer. It basically makes the program mostly unusable for me.

I too use ACDSEE and have the same issue that alias do not work.  This is because ACDSEE I think has been written directly invoke an exe and adds the filename as an argument.  When you add a new external editor you can only browse for .exe.  You can find the alias but ACDSEE immediately realises this is not actually an exe and rejects the chosen file.  We need a genuine exe to be able to use the product.  Might have to go back to using PaintShop.

On 11/19/2022 at 10:53 PM, ModernHomePress said:

I totally agree that there should be an .EXE or .MSI version. The .MSIX version installed fine on my system, but the problem I have is that other programs can not call up an instance of Affinity. For example, in my workflow I use ACDSee to manage my photos, and love using Affinity Photo to edit the photos. Unfortunately I can no longer link directly to the Affinity Photo 2 app through the "External Editor" function as there is no .EXE app on my computer. It basically makes the program mostly unusable for me.

But write to ACDSee. Some of the other packages support Affinity Photo Version 2. And a right click in Explorer opens a file in APh 2. So why can't ACDSee?

I have the same issue as others with V2 as a Windows App.  Even knowing where it is does not help since other applications (ACDSee in my case) cannot call it.  Windows refuses permission.  Calling a bat file will start V2 but won't send an image from ACDSee for editing.  This is a total mess.  How do I get my money back?

Bill T

Here as well: as a company with restricted networks and systems the msix packages a not a good choice. Now we have the hassle with the store, an installation wasn't possible till now. What a waste of human ressources (to solve such problems).

Edited by Uncertified

Two questions, that I think are related in some way (I hope they haven't already been asked. If so: Sorry for the repetition and please point me into the right direction) :

1. Is it foreseeable whether the MSI version will be available before the end of the current 40% offer? (14.12.2022 if the info I read somewhere is correct.)
  2. Will the trial be reset when the MSI versions become available?
    Because I currently have an activated trial version and only have a couple of days left, but am stuck with the MSIX versions, which for one reason or another can't install on my operating system (even after trying several options discussed here in the forum).
    Or will the trial version expire without me even having the possibility to test it? 😞

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

On 11/21/2022 at 5:47 PM, MrDoodlezz said:

Two questions, that I think are related in some way (I hope they haven't already been asked. If so: Sorry for the repetition and please point me into the right direction) :

1. Is it foreseeable whether the MSI version will be available before the end of the current 40% offer? (14.12.2022 if the info I read somewhere is correct.)
    Because I currently have an activated trial version and only have a couple of days left, but am stuck with the MSIX versions, which for one reason or another can't install on my operating system (even after trying several options discussed here in the forum).
    Or will the trial version expire without me even having the possibility to test it? 😞

I guess Affinty's lack of response indicates »no« for both questions?

Nevermind, found something here.

2023_b.png.6eb47882072cc58253b7219526339b14.png

Totally agree. I can't be bothered with using microsoft store to get a program installed.
Been using V1 for several years without issues.
Well time to ask for a refund as I am unable to install this on Windows 10 22H2
First time  I have ever had this issue installing a program.

On 11/18/2022 at 1:27 PM, NoIDontWantAnAccount said:

I have never heard of, or encountered the .MSIX format

Me neither, but it worked just fine for me (Win 10 Pro 64bit) with the only downside of the apps being listed among Windows Apps rather than Installed Programs which is a bit confusing but doesn't affect functionality in any way...

• Staff
On 11/21/2022 at 4:47 PM, MrDoodlezz said:

Our plan is absolutely that the EXE/MSI installer will be available before the launch offer expires.

We're looking at technical ways that you (and others affected) will be able to have a 30 day test once the EXE containing the MSI install is available. It isn't settled how this will be achieved (we have a few options being considered) but yes trials will reset (that is the plan, we're still testing what's possible)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff
1 minute ago, MrDoodlezz said:

Thanks for the update, Patrick – I really appreciate it, it takes care of some of the concerns!

Unfortunately it cannot simply be the current 2.0.0 build in an MSI install, or you would have it already, it will have to be a new release 2.0.x as explained here

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

We are a month on from the promise of legacy MSI v2 installers and as far as I know they are still not available. Does anyone have a timetable for this? (As a Windows 10 user I can't be alone in feeling left to fend for myself when it comes to launching affinity photo 2 from third party photo library and raw engine programmes. Without this forum's workarounds I would be totally stuck and disillusioned.)

1 hour ago, Keith Palmer said:

We are a month on from the promise of legacy MSI v2 installers and as far as I know they are still not available. Does anyone have a timetable for this? (As a Windows 10 user I can't be alone in feeling left to fend for myself when it comes to launching affinity photo 2 from third party photo library and raw engine programmes. Without this forum's workarounds I would be totally stuck and disillusioned.)

Serif have said it should be soon, during the 2.0.3 beta process. But it's a complex undertaking, and takes time.

In any case, have you resolved your problems with those photo library and raw engine programs? The aflaunch.exe program that Serif has provided should have resolved those issues.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

When I inquired of Affinity Support I was directed to an aflaunch.exe link, but the link was marked "not available" and so it proved. I gave feedback to that effect but heard no more, hence my feeling of being left to fend for myself.  I have looked again at your prompt and see that the link is now active. I wasn't aware of the changed status, but will try it out now.

Thank you. I am very grateful to the forum and its contributors, but not that happy with Serif's part in this problem.

I agree completely. It's very frustrating also that I cannot see the full size of the program in my Programs and Apps. It shows as being below 100mb, which is terribly annoying. I'm not tight on data storage, but it's just good to know how much space everything takes.