You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Feature Request: MORE Customization of Interface

Not sure if this has been suggested.

The current option to customize the tool bar with the available tools is nice.  I prefer the added ability in addition to what is there to customize all the panels and have a universal tool set that consists of ALL the tools from all the panels and allow me to place any tool from any panel or menu on any other panel, tool bar or interface item.   This would allow for creation of custom panels and not just collections of panels.

There is a software that takes this to a new level.  PaintStorm Studio Pro
paintstormstudio.com

That software allows complete customization of EVERYTHING within the interface including individual tools.   I would really like more of that type of customization within the Affinity softwares.  

Bringing the DELETE icon button over to the tool menu from the layers panel would be great!  
Stuff like that...

Maya also offers this, and absolutely requires this of the user if they want to get to any degree of speed and fluidity within its byzantine organisation of features and functionality. Having set it up, it's almost tolerable to use it.

Maya also has "right click markup menus" which are no longer covered by any kinds of patent protections and can be safely used by any kind of software for any kind of shortcuts. These are amazing, and actually had lots of preexisting art, so the claims over them by Alias etc were always a bit tenuous. 

These can also be customised within an inch of their lives, and often this is needed if you're doing repetitive works, or wanting to stay sane after coming across for a visit from 3ds Max:

• 1 year later...

Autodesk products (CAD) are my primary graphic tools, and I use Affinity to enhance renderings, screen grabs, etc., which means I'm not as skilled and versed with Affinity's tool sets.  It would be great to customize the UI to create custom toolbars, etc., instead of relying on keyboard shortcuts and drilling down through various dropdown menus to get at the tools I use most.

Cheers, Matt

Older versions of Corel Draw back in the mid 2000's had a crazy customizable interface, you could pretty much drag any function anywhere and dock tools to any part of the interface you want. Not sure how newer versions handle that. That was my daily driver before Designer came along. 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

Honestly, i don't know if i would even be using Affinity today if Corel had their crap together 15 years ago when i made the switch over to Mac. For a while i was using Corel in a windows virtual machine since Illustrator's drawing tools are just so bad, i could never make that switch. When the original Beta of Designer came out, and i used Serif's implementation of the Node tool for the first time, I was hooked from day one and haven't touched Corel since. A couple years ago Corel came out with a Mac version, and still had their old-school super high pricing structure and all of the UI customization was left out, and the code base felt "converted" from windows (kinda clunky and laggy, if you know how those types of apps run), even a Corel die-hard like myself had to say "sorry Corel, too little too late." 

Art director by day, illustrator by night: Check Out My Shutterstock Gallery

The last Paintshop Pro upgrade I bought was for the 2018 version, which I used until I discovered Affinity.  Although I had been using Paintshop Pro since the days of AutoCAD 13 (not 2013) to create icons for custom ACAD menus.  That was when JASC owned PSP.  I finally got off the Corel PSP upgrade train when I got fed up with them putting new frosting on the stale old Twinkie, and not fixing bugs, improving existing tools, and adding new ones.

Granted PSP is a paint program; but the limited vector tools were absolutely pathetic.  PSP's handling of large files (memory management) was one of those bugs they never squashed.

Besides a rich tool set, Affinity's other big strengths to me are a consistent interface between their three programs, and how well they play with each other.  Are you listening Autodesk?