You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer 2.0.0.0] Unexpected Results with Alignment Panel

I've noticed different results between the Alignment Pop-up Panel and the Layer > Alignment menu command when trying to align to a selected Key Object:

Having selected a group of objects, then using the Option key to indicate a Key Object, if I then select the menu command "Layer > Alignment > Align Middle" (for example), all objects align to the Key Object as expected.

However, if, after selecting a Key Object, I then bring up the Alignment Pop-up Panel from the toolbar and select the "Align Middle" button, the collection of objects will NOT align to the Key Object by default unless I also choose "First Selected" from the "Align to" pop-up option.

Is this behavior in the Alignment Pop-up Panel by design?

6 hours ago, Mark Oehlschlager said:

Is this behavior in the Alignment Pop-up Panel by design?

I am happy that you pointed out that there is now a possibility to explicitly define a key object (and have it also marked) -- in versions 1 this needed to be worked around by making a de- and reselection of the object to be used as the key -- but otherwise I would say the pop-up panel version of the Alignment feature has stayed the same (not including yet the key object alignment option, either, at least on Windows). So yes, it is intentional behavior that you often need to make a "wrong" alignment, then specify how you actually want it, and often also click Apply to ensure that the already made alignment is completed. In another words, it is by (bad) design ;-)