You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Noob Question about 'Merging Visible' and then Exporting

Hi all!

I have attached an image - the colored bars - i would like to export only the colored bars and not the white background as well. How can I achieve this?

Also, since I come from an audio background, in some recording software you can 'bounce' or render an audio file in place and then manipulate it in the project window with the original untouched - could I, whilst working on these bars in a project, select them, duplicate them, then bounce or render them as a whole and edit this way, so no more individual bars, but them all together as an image?

Hope this makes sense - still getting aquatinted with this great software and people in this forum have been so kind and helpful so far!

Many Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-11-18 at 00.17.32.png

11 hours ago, RichardMH said:

I'd try Filters->Colours->Erase White Paper then export as png.

Is there a particular reason to export as a png. and not a jpeg?

Also, is it possible in a project to merge selected layers rather than the option to 'merge visible layers'? 

Thanks!

@Gemini80  you could also click on your top-most layer, right click and choose Merge Visible.  This will give you another layer on top with your image (but should be a smaller file size, I believe) which you can then use for Export>PNG>Selection only.  If you click on the EXPORT Preview window you should see your entire image with a checkerboard behind it, meaning that you have a transparent background.  JPG will not show this checkerboard, meaning that it will keep the white background.

When you have finished your export, you can delete that top merged layer, and you will be able to ungroup your image and you will have everything back to an editable condition.

24" iMAC Apple M1 chip, 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16 GB unified memory, 1 TB SSD storage, Ventura 13.6.  Photo, Publisher, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.3.
MacBook Pro 13" 2020, Apple M1 chip, 16GB unified memory, 256GB  SSD storage
,  Ventura 13.6.   Publisher, Photo, Designer 1.10.5, and 2.1.1.  
 iPad Pro 12.9 2020 (4th Gen. IOS 16.6.1); Apple pencil.  
Wired and bluetooth mice and keyboards.9_9

17 hours ago, Gemini80 said:

I have attached an image - the colored bars - i would like to export only the colored bars and not the white background as well. How can I achieve this?

If you are using Photo or Designer then turn on Transparent background. Group the "colour bars" by selecting them and hitting Command + G. Go to the Export persona and make the Group layer a Slice using the Layers Panel. Export that slice as a PNG.

17 hours ago, Gemini80 said:

Also, since I come from an audio background, in some recording software you can 'bounce' or render an audio file in place and then manipulate it in the project window with the original untouched - could I, whilst working on these bars in a project, select them, duplicate them, then bounce or render them as a whole and edit this way, so no more individual bars, but them all together as an image?

In Photo turn off the visibility of everything except the "colour bars" and choose Merge Visible from the context menu in the Layers panel from a right click or a Control + Click. The result will be a Pixel layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.