You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer - snapping not functioning when constraining angle

Hi everyone

I'm having difficulty with snapping in Designer 2 when I constrain a curve's angle with the pen tool (for what it's worth this is the same behaviour as in v1 so not new since v2). I'm trying to mimic the snapping behaviour found in Inkscape when drawing a path/curve which is constrained to an angle (22.5 degrees in this case). When I constrain the angle, it effectively disables all snapping even when I have snapping enabled.

Here's a video I've recorded showing the problem - 

I don't know whether to class this as a bug or not as I am not sure if it's the intended behaviour of Affinity Designer. So I suppose this is either a feature request (if it is intended behaviour) or a bug report if not.

Keen to hear if anyone has any workaround or knowledge on this.

Thanks in advance

Max

2021 14" M1 Pro Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Current Beta versions.

Hi Max,

To me this does look like a bug, or at very least unhelpful / unintuitive behaviour.

However...

I have found that dragging while holding the right mouse button as the modifier does snap correctly to the target object.

Tried to upload a GIF, but forum seems to be having an issue right now... will try again later.

Win10 Home x64   |   AMD Ryzen 7 2700X @ 3.7GHz   |   48 GB RAM   |   1TB SSD   |   nVidia GTX 1660   |   Wacom Intuos Pro

8 hours ago, Aammppaa said:

Hi Max,

To me this does look like a bug, or at very least unhelpful / unintuitive behaviour.

However...

I have found that dragging while holding the right mouse button as the modifier does snap correctly to the target object.

Tried to upload a GIF, but forum seems to be having an issue right now... will try again later.

Hi Aammppaa,

Thanks very much for your advice. This does appear to work. I'm on Mac and it seems if I click and hold (no two finger click) while dragging the lines they do snap how I intend.

It would be great if Serif added an option to customise this behaviour as it's not ideal having to click and hold every line I draw in order to get them to snap.

Thanks again

Max

2021 14" M1 Pro Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Current Beta versions.