You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher Crash when selecting text in Fields Panel

Dampsquid

Document is open, Fields is in dock to right of document pane. User action is to double click the placeholder text for author, title, whatever, in order to replace with desired text.  As soon as a double-click is made on the text to select it Publisher will crash (every time).

Positioning the cursor at the end of the text, backspacing until deleted and then entering new, desired, text works as expected. 

As an update, I just updated my M1 MBP to Ventura 13.1 beta and I no longer get the crash. Not definitive but may be a Ventura issue that will be resolved with the new version soon.

Update: Spoke too soon! After trying it about 10 times, I let it sit for awhile. When I tried it once more, crash. 

--------------------

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020 i7 72GB) • AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
MacBook Pro, 13", M1 2020 • 16 GB • macOS Sonoma
iPad Air 2022

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

It's not something I can replicate in Publisher V2 on my M1 system running Ventura 13.0.1. I can double click into each field on the Fields panel and add,edit and delete from each field no problem. Those having the crash, do you have a particular document open or is this using a new blank document?

If you can retrieve a crash report from macOS for when a crash occurred and upload here, it can be checked.

Hi Lee where would you like me to upload the crash report?

I am on MacOS, the document was originally created in the designer, however as discussed on the forum elsewhere, the wrong details are usually saved in the PDF metadata when exported from Affinity Designer. As a result, the affinity designer file was opened in to publisher, then field studio activated. In my case I was able to edit stuff that were blank. However the title section was filled incorrectly by the designer and as soon as I click on the placeholder to change the title, it crashes.

5 hours ago, Lee D said:

It's not something I can replicate in Publisher V2 on my M1 system running Ventura 13.0.1. I can double click into each field on the Fields panel and add,edit and delete from each field no problem. Those having the crash, do you have a particular document open or is this using a new blank document?

If you can retrieve a crash report from macOS for when a crash occurred and upload here, it can be checked.

Hi Lee, here's a crash report and a screen recording. I can crash this on demand with my M1 Pro and 13.0.1 with the following steps.

Affinity Publisher 2-2022-12-02-100400.ips

1. Create a new document.
  2. Open the Fields panel
  3. Single click on a field, type a word, press Return
  4. Double click the same field = crash

It will only crash if you double click - single clicking (which is enough to edit the field) doesn't crash.

It doesn't matter if the Fields panel is in the left or right studio or if it's undocked. The field you're editing doesn't have to be in the document and I repeated this with several of the fields.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)