You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Live displace broken on Art Boards

CM0

Do you use displacement with “layers below”? You may need to load it once after duplicating.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Yes, I used layers below.  However, it seems it is broken once you have multiple art boards.  If you move any of the art boards, it affects all of the others.

You can load the map again, but it will only temporarily fix that one until you move it.  Which will then affect all the others again.

In its current state, just not useable with art boards.

Yea, this bug is part of a family of related issues which can occur whenever you copy / paste / duplicate and move a live layer which has an inherent position reference:

1. perspective 
  2. lighting
  3. displacement
  4. procedural texture
  5. skew
  6. radial or other blurs

A positional reference could be anything from

1. cached pixel input from lower layers (displacement, lighting),
  2. cached filter input of node positions (distortion filters)
  3. or the middle point of a filter effect (radial blur center point),
  4. or even worse an inherent mask which is non-trivial pure black or white. This can lead to unexpected issues (blurriness) with layer DPI mismatch, fractional pixel position, pasted layer mask positioned outside visible canvas or artboard etc.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

It is so frustrating.  Affinity keeps adding features while I still can't use the existing ones.  My entire workflow is oriented around Art Boards and I keep running into obstacles like this.  Seems like this is somewhat a high impact bug.  Affecting a lot of features.  I wish they would treat it as high priority.

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, CM0 said:

Could Affinity please look into fixing this.  I normally use 40-50 art boards per project.  Essentially, I have to operate as if the many of the live filters do not exist.

I have stopped suggesting (or trying to use) Artboards in Photo, as whenever I've tried I've found functions in Photo that didn't work. I think Photo has been designed and tested to work with Canvas-based documents, and things fail in various ways with Artboard-based documents. At  least when there are multiple Artboards.

I think this is one area where the idea that any of the apps can process files created by the other apps has broken down.

Note: this is not new with V2.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, it is completely broken.  If Affinity wants to take the position the apps aren't designed to work together, then I'm out.  That was the most compelling feature that Affinity has.  Seems this should be a priority to fix.

Note, they are also technically broken in Photo as well.  If you attach the filters to objects and move them within the canvas you will still run into problems, just don't hit that use case as often.

This also shouldn't be a very difficult problem to fix.  It is likely just a matter deciding on a different point of reference for anchoring the filter.  I would have rather had these problems fixed than any new feature added V2.  It would have been more useful to my workflow.