You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Layers Guide (V2) - Understanding Masks, Moves, Crops, Clips, Adjustments

Hello,

With version 2 of the Affinity apps comes with not only new layers interface, but also new layer drop zones and new UI feedback (blue highlights). 

I updated the cheat sheet to reflect these changes to help anyone who is looking for better understanding on how layers behave when dragged within the layers panel.  Original post for version 1 of the cheat sheet here.

This is a basic guide.  It does not address all the possibilities of non-destructive masks, multi-nested layers, etc.  There are many complex possibilities.  I hope it serves to get you on the right track to understanding the foundations of layers in the Affinity Apps.

Here is a PDF version:

Layers Panel Cheat Sheet v4.2.pdf

Note that my example uses the light UI.  I did not create one for the dark UI, but the principles and feedback are the same.

249029829_LayersPanelCheatCheatv4.2.thumb.png.c20df8f79a72fab1e657a8d5ef4d03dc.png

• 3 weeks later...

Very helpul, thank you!

Could you please check the gradient mask at "4. Rectangle Mask", it seems to be missing in the PDF file (Acrobat and Apple Preview) and does not show this rectangle object at position Q when opened in Affinity (APub V1) (as if this mask was an invisible layer during export or exported with "Rasterize: Nothing").

447038373_missingmaskinggradient.jpg.931b174e3cbd04d9caa9aaa1e54d6a50.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

@Dave Vector, thank you again!

Assuming that forum readers possibly do not scroll down from your 1st initial post you might consider to replace above the v4.0.pdf with the new v4.1pdf, removing the older version in the uploads. – If you do so I would hide my 2 posts to avoid confusion.

For some reason I am unable do edit my old post from November 14, 2022, so I cannot replace the 4.0 PDF with the 4.1 PDF.  

If a moderator knows why I cannot edit old posts, please let me know , or please point me to instructions on how to do so. 

I can edit newer posts no problem, using the upper right-hand three dots (More options...)  There I can see Edit and Hide as well as Report and Share.

I only see the Report and Share option in the older November 14, 2022 post.

17 hours ago, Dave Vector said:

why I cannot edit old posts, please let me know , or please point me to instructions on how to do so

Unfortunately as a user only I don't know why you see a limited menu … and I can't remember having been disabled from editing an older post of mine. It feels odd in particular since you are the thread author.

It would be nice and helpful to have a moderator pinning an FAQ about handling the forum software, possibly separate from this rather legal disclaimer, or in its first chapter "Briefly" or in the related short header of the Q&A forum. Not only for situations like this but for also / for instance especially to new users it often seems to be confusing if they are requested by users but not allowed to upload files without knowing or being told by experienced users the limitations or rules for various member states.

• 2 months later...