You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Changing all new docs to inches

I could be wrong. But I believe if you start a new document, and you select a print paper size and change your units to inches, everything will change to inches as your primary measurement. And when you open up the next time that preference will be the first one you see. 

And to change an existing document just do it in the document setup button on the context menu, or under the File menu.

I don't know ai files and their quirks, sorry. But, as a suggestion, if you haven't already tried this. Import you ai file into AD. Go to File-Document Setup. Then change the document units to inches. See if that does it.

If you have already gone through that route, I apologize in advance.

I'm afraid the AI format is closed proprietary so we can only read the PDF stream, and the PDF stream does not specify any units. It always uses points internally (that is, 72 units per inch - it doesn't call them points). There's no way we can detect what units Illustrator attaches to a .ai file.