You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

DXF support is a lie!

• Staff

to all readers

DXF Support is IMPORT ONLY

@Ntracks In our marketing pages we claim you can work with DXF files. By "work with" we mean you can open DFX files to work on them. We have not written any DXF export and we do not mean that. Sorry that you feel this is unclear. From this page

Extremely versatile, delightfully compatible. Combine colour spaces and work with all other major file types, including JPEG, PDF, SVG, PSD, PNG, TIFF, GIF and DWG/DXF.

What does the German say ? 

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

*Extrem flexibel und überraschend kompatibel. Kombinieren Sie Farbräume und arbeiten Sie mit allen gängigen Dateitypen, wie etwa JPEG, PDF, SVG, PSD, PNG, TIFF, GIF und DWG/DXF.

sounds the same as the english text but the DXF file format is not mentioned at all under;

Professional Colour, Compatibility, and Output
Professionelle Farben, Kompatibilität und Ausgabe

https://affinity.serif.com/de/designer/full-feature-list/

Missing for both german and english website so the customer has zero chance to know for certain if there are export capabilities, it feels like it is implied* but not explicitly written down.

Sketchbook (with Affinity Suite usage) | timurariman.com | https://bansheebyte.artstation.com/store

Windows 11 Pro - 22H2 | Ryzen 5800X3D | RTX 3090 - 24GB | 128GB |
Main SSD with 1TB | SSD 4TB | PCIe SSD 256GB (configured as Scratch disk) |

• Staff
9 minutes ago, myclay said:

Missing for both german and english website.

to clarify, it is "missing" only because it is not meant to be there, so it is not so much missing so much as "the output (export) list is correct".

see below

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

• Staff

my sincere apologies myclay. DXF/DWG is missing!

Full Open or Import List

• Adobe® Photoshop® PSD
  • Adobe® Photoshop® PSB
  • Adobe® Illustrator® AI (containing PDF stream)
  • PDF
  • SVG
  • EPS
  • Adobe® FreeHand® (versions 9 to 11)
  • PNG
  • TIFF
  • JPG
  • GIF
  • EXR (Open EXR)
  • HDR (Radiance)
  • Affinity Photo native file
  • Affinity Publisher native file (includes page navigation)
  • Extensive RAW import library (auto-process on import)
  • DNG
  • HEIF with depth map (as separate layer)

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

What's the definition of "work with" that doesn't include input, work and subsequent output?

To my thinking, and probably most others, seeing "work with" implies in, on and out.

If you're not able to export/output a format, you're not, to my thinking, working "with" that format, you're working with a converted version of that format that is no longer that format. 

• Staff
1 minute ago, deeds said:

....probably most others, seeing "work with" implies in, on and out.

yes I think that is arguable. The wording could be better like DXF/DWG (Import Only). I will see if it can be improved

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

15 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

my sincere apologies myclay. DXF/DWG is missing!

I think webp and jpeg xl are also missing from the full open/import and full save/export lists.

Edited by MikeTO
Added JPEG XL

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 3 weeks later...

Serif, the apps' Help pages haven't been updated for the newer formats. For example, webp and jpeg xl are missing from:

https://affinity.help/publisher2/English.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Appendix/fileformat.html?title=Supported file formats

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)