You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Editing luminosity masks in V2

Is there an easy way of converting the live luminosity mask into a static mask that can then be painted on to alter the mask?

It can be done by choosing "selection from layer" and then creating a new mask and deleting the live one, although that requires several steps. It would be nice if the "Rasterize to mask.." option would perform the same task, converting the live mask into a static mask. 

Unless I'm missing something here in terms of how to optimally use luminosity masks, which is entirely possible.

I'm hoping the new masks are a work in progress. Rasterize to mask would be great.

What can work is to use a compound mask. Put the Luminosity mask inside. Add a normal mask with intersect chosen and paint on the normal mask. If you right click on  the compound mask you can edit mask which doesn't work properly but you can see the mask when you go back and work on the normal mask. This can cause a crash so save before you try.

18 hours ago, RichardMH said:

I'm hoping the new masks are a work in progress. Rasterize to mask would be great.

What can work is to use a compound mask. Put the Luminosity mask inside. Add a normal mask with intersect chosen and paint on the normal mask. If you right click on  the compound mask you can edit mask which doesn't work properly but you can see the mask when you go back and work on the normal mask. This can cause a crash so save before you try.

Thanks, compound masks are a neat feature, although in this case drawing on the normal mask seems to be possible only to mask out additional areas not already masked by the live mask.

I wasn't able to edit the areas already masked out by the luminosity mask to selectively remove the mask in some places

Choosing "Edit mask" instantly crashed my Photo V2 :4_joy:

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi @rvst,

Thanks for your post and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

On 11/17/2022 at 4:43 PM, rvst said:

It would be nice if the "Rasterize to mask.." option would perform the same task, converting the live mask into a static mask. 

I can confirm I have logged this with our developers as well as a few other issues I have found when using the new Live Mask features.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
On 11/18/2022 at 1:40 PM, rvst said:

Thanks, compound masks are a neat feature, although in this case drawing on the normal mask seems to be possible only to mask out additional areas not already masked by the live mask.

I wasn't able to edit the areas already masked out by the luminosity mask to selectively remove the mask in some places

Just to confirm, are you looking to apply a luminosity mask to only a certain section of your image? If so I believe I'm able to achieve this with the following workflow:

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff
11 minutes ago, RichardMH said:

Have you tried creating the compound mask first then a luminosity mask inside that? Freezes photo for me.

Unfortunately I'm not seeing the same behaviour here on Windows or macOS - are you able to provide a quick recording of this for me please? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 hour ago, Dan C said:

Just to confirm, are you looking to apply a luminosity mask to only a certain section of your image? If so I believe I'm able to achieve this with the following workflow

No. I'm looking to manually edit the mask in non-contiguous areas. One can unmask areas by painting with the paintbrush but not the reverse. 

• Staff
2 hours ago, rvst said:

No. I'm looking to manually edit the mask in non-contiguous areas. One can unmask areas by painting with the paintbrush but not the reverse. 

Thanks for confirming that for me, I'll get this logged as an improvement request with our devs now :)

2 hours ago, RichardMH said:

I'll do a video tomorrow (its late here).. I've attached a jpeg.

Luminosity.jpg

No problem at all, many thanks for providing this for me - unfortunately I'm still unable to replicate this so it may be something I'm missing from your file, or the steps we're taking are different so a recording would certainly help further :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 11/18/2022 at 6:40 AM, rvst said:

OK, I think I know what you're after. I still tend to think of masks as areas of black and areas of white (for simplicity's sake) and my understanding of Compound Masks has been that the "operators" act on the "white" areas of the mask involved. When you want to "remove the mask" from areas hidden by the luminosity mask, my understanding is that you want to add a "white" area to areas that were made "black" by the luminosity mask.

One way to do this (and I would imagine there are several) is to create a second mask, this one an "Empty Mask" in which everything is initially "black". When you Compound these masks together, using the default "Add" operator, all of the white areas in both of the masks will be "revealed" in the eventual image. As you paint White on this empty mask, areas that were hidden by the Luminosity Mask are added back into the image.

I'm guessing that there are multiple other combinations that would make this work, but Boolean logic always seems to break my brain a little. At any rate, I think this answers the issue you were looking at.

Affinity Photo 2, Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2 (latest retail versions) - desktop & iPad
Culling - FastRawViewer; Raw Developer - Capture One Pro; Asset Management - Photo Supreme
Mac Studio with M2 Max (2023}; 64 GB RAM; macOS 13 (Ventura); Mac Studio Display - iPad Air 4th Gen; iPadOS 17

2 minutes ago, smadell said:

I'm guessing that there are multiple other combinations that would make this work, but Boolean logic always seems to break my brain a little.

The Compound Mask operators aren't really Boolean although they effectively are Boolean when combining a pure "black" mask pixel with a pure "white" mask pixel.

You might be more comfortable with the operators when you consider that they are really the equivalent of layer blending modes:

• Add == Add
  • Subtract == Subtract
  • Intersect == Darken
  • Xor == Difference

10 hours ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me, I'll get this logged as an improvement request with our devs now :)

No problem at all, many thanks for providing this for me - unfortunately I'm still unable to replicate this so it may be something I'm missing from your file, or the steps we're taking are different so a recording would certainly help further :)

Happens every time. Maybe I'm not supposed to do that. 

• Staff

Thanks Richard, I've been able to replicate this freeze/crash here now (interestingly it worked the first time, but I deleted the Live Mask and tried again, when the app froze) so I'll be logging this as a bug with our devs :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!