You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

V2 executable file location

Good afternoon

I have recently upgraded to V2 of Photo, Draw and Publisher.

I make use of Reallusion software which allows me to allocate my own SVG editor of choice as a plugin. V1 was easy to set as my chosen editor, however V2 does not show up as an option. I have tried to manually find the executable files to enter it however I am unable to locate these files. Can anyone direct me to the standard folder which holds the main applications executable files.

Apologies for my ignorance

Welcome to the forums, :)

What OS, Mac or Windows? The EXE files are alias, since the app is for the most part sandboxed. Don't get too alarmed right now. Serif caught so much back lash, they're working on a MSI to release, to eliminate this problem.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

32 minutes ago, Mark Ingram said:

You can use the app execution alias, mentioned in the FAQ:

Negative. 

I'm trying to add Photo v2 as an external editor in an application written by a really talented and ambitious Microsoft technology puritan who now very appropriately works as a developer for Microsoft itself - I can only believe he coded it by the book. The new books.

I can launch Photo from the start menu manually with this alias:
C:\Users\usedmyusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

But... if I try to add the exact same path in the select file dialog (trying to add Photo as external editor from within the running program):
C:\Users\usedmyusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\AffinityPhoto2.exe

the file is rejected - "The system cannot access the file".

Didn't work before Windows 10, 22H2 - doesn't work with 22H2 either.

So this app execution alias is not useful or correct to hand out to customers. I have only burned my fingers on it.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• Staff
16 minutes ago, François R said:

....the file is rejected - "The system cannot access the file".

what happens when you use the launcher provided by our developer?

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

20 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

what happens when you use the launcher provided by our developer?

That works as intended - and for the science I extracted it to "C:\Users\usedmyusername\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps\" so we are dealing with some security settings on the three individual files here.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.

• Staff
21 minutes ago, François R said:

That works as intended -

I am glad to hear that

21 minutes ago, François R said:

...so we are dealing with some security settings

It is that your application does not like the zero byte Application Alias, which is a new Windows concept but works

Press CMD+R and type

AffinityPhoto2
or
AffinityPublisher2
or
Affinity Designer 2

Each will launch the app in question.

Now type CMD+R and paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\

and in explorer you will see 0 byte files (including the Affinity ones that launched the applications). The launcher is simply an EXE which has size that calls that zero byte AffinityPhoto2 file!

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

7 minutes ago, Patrick Connor said:

I am glad to hear that

It is that your application does not like the zero byte Application Alias, which is a new Windows concept but works

Press CMD+R and type

AffinityPhoto2
or
AffinityPublisher2
or
Affinity Designer 2

Each will launch the app in question.

Now type CMD+R and paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\WindowsApps\

and in explorer you will see 0 byte files (including the Affinity ones that launched the applications). The launcher is simply an EXE which has size that calls that zero byte AffinityPhoto2 file!

Interesting - they are symbolic links though, right?

3 hours ago, Mark Ingram said:

And App Execution Alias are provided by Microsoft as part of MSIX deployment. So while the launcher is a good work around for now, it would be worth reporting the issue to the developer of the other app. 

That might be a good example. He developed it until recently and sold it (in tens of thousands) and his webshop still sells it, it's a very well known program but I don't think it's updated significantly again. If at all. He went from self-employed to busy employee at Microsoft, and almost disappeared from the radar. Your customers may buy it for years to come.

The program could also for someone be PhotoPlus X7, or any other program where the company for good, bad or forced financial reasons keeps the architecture quiet for a long time. Or the program like X6 on its way to the grave - or buried.

I know you were trying to help; my point is just that Microsoft Windows has been built around extreme compatibility since its birth, because companies (and individuals) simply need one program to work with the other program. And demand it. Therefore, it's often up to the software vendors to choose what level of backwards compatibility to have. At the overall level or around the application. Windows supports most of it. Perhaps less now than it once did.

"Ahead of the curve" as that turtle wrote... you can consider whether that was a good decision customer-wise or PR-wise now. It's not a safe place to place yourself in many of life's circumstances. It's probably more the gamblers' territory.

And by the way, over the years I have given many feedbacks to companies about bugs and compatibility that were never fixed. Which is actually the case with Affinity, at least many of your customers write that is also the case with Serif Software. So... you have what you have. And this is what you should take into account when choosing and investing in software for your workflow. High as well as low.

Good evening 🙂

• 3 weeks later...

Neither Nikon's NX Studio nor Sony's Imaging Edge Viewer/Edit will open AP2 with the zero byte execution alias. The launcher provided by Serif is flawed in that there is no icon and an amiguous name of 'Launcher'. This just looks ugly and unfinished.

• Staff
On 12/7/2022 at 1:45 PM, aps2011 said:

The launcher provided by Serif is flawed in that there is no icon and an amiguous name of 'Launcher'. This just looks ugly and unfinished.

Our sincerest apologies, this is only meant as an interim solution whilst we prepare traditional .MSI versions of the Affinity apps, which should integrate with third party applications in the same way V1 could.

We hope to have this MSI version ready ASAP - I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!