You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Pantone color use questions in AD

In AD I used several global Pantone colors (colours) and came up with a couple questions.

When selecting which color I wanted I clicked on several possible choices to see which I liked better.  Every color I clicked on was added to the Document color swatch list.  Now it contains many colors that I'm not actually using.  And most are extremely close to the ones I am using.  How can I tell which are not being used in my drawing so I can remove them?

I know I should have renamed the ones I was using as they were created, so I could tell them apart.  Live and learn.  But I didn't.  I figured if I only had 6 global colors, red, brown, green, blue, orange and yellow I could easily tell which swatch was which without a name. :huh:

If I know a Pantone color I want by number, the swatch panel let's me search for it.  But it only shows swatches matching my search criteria.  If I am looking for a color that would be in the area of the search color, how do I find the search color in the full swatch pallet?

If I have an object selected and go to the Colour panel it shows me the Pantone color number, how do I know which pallet it came from?  (Solid coated, Goe uncoated, etc.)

And one final one I never really thought about but how come seeing as I am specifying the English language in the US region, color is spelled colour?

I am new to Pantone, so maybe some of these wouldn't be issues if I had more experience.  Sorry for any stupid questions contained herein. :unsure:

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hi Gear maker,

You can use the colour picker to select different Pantone colours to try and the when you have the required colour click to add to the document palette.

The Pantone numbers can be confusing for example the GoeBridge coated and Goe Coated use the same codes and the are separate pallets. This link is to the Pantone website and explains about the numbers and which palette they belong to.

The spelling is controlled by the regional settings you may have both English US and English British.

Regards,

Darren

Hi Darren,

The Pantone web site did help a bit in getting an idea of the color numbers.  But didn't really help in my questions.

You can use the colour picker to select different Pantone colours to try and the when you have the required colour click to add to the document palette.

So you are saying to select a Pantone color from the swatches, then go into the Colour panel selecting Edit Global Colour.  Then from there try colors until I get the one I like.  That's a little awkward, but it's better then having to delete a bunch of swatches later.  Please let me know if that's not what you mean.

It looks like when the above is done AD looses the Pantone number.  When a color is selected from the swatches it remembers that it was a "Pantone 618 C".  But when it's selected by using the Edit Global Colour, it's just called only Global Colour 17.  So when I name a color I need to use the pallet name like S for solid, then add the designator 618 C then a descriptor, like "S618C Clown Nose" if I ever want to identify the color again.  And each color I try I have to make note of the color number, so I have it when a decision is made.  That's really more than a little awkward.

I must have misunderstood what you meant.  Can you please clarify.

Thanks for your help.

Mike

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• Staff

Hi Mike,

Yes this is what I meant you can also use the fill and this will just add the the colour to the recent used swatches and this swatch will change when a new colour is selected.

I agree that keeping the Pantone name and searching the whole list will be a good improvement and I recommend that you post this to the Feature Request forum at the moment you have to manually rename the global swatch and the search is for the current swatch.

Regards,

Darren