You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

3 tutorials for beginners to start out with

Hi everyone,

I've just put three tutorials on YouTube aimed at complete beginners, although slightly more experienced users of Affinity can get something out of the third one.

So here they are:

https://youtu.be/mYwjdx9FJRA- Affinity Photo Tutorial for Beginners - 101 - don't panic!

https://youtu.be/_sbuSNiiZWc- Affinity Photo Tutorial for Beginners - 102 - What is a Layer?

https://youtu.be/aWx4X-Nes-s- Affinity Photo Beginners 103 - 5 Essential Photo Editing Steps

If they are of some use to you then it's all good.

Cheers,

Simon Foster

Hi,

Fabulous information.  Keep it up.  I've worked with some of your tutorials in the past and was very pleased.  Also it was very interesting to put a face with a voice.  You don't look anything like I had you pictured in my mind.  Again, thanks and I look forward to future tutorials.

paul - Oaala, FL

Hi Simon, an excellent start and a big service to new users of Photo and image processing.  Obviously a huge challenge to present just enough information without being overwhelming.  A few suggestions:

In the first video, you must have the "splash" screen (the one with samples to download) turned off, new users might find that confusing because they will see that screen first.

Also in first video, a brief mention of the Personas, so in case they accidentally click on another one they will know to go back to the Photo Persona. 

For color balancing, I think beginners might find the "white balance" adjustment easier than the "colour balance" or "channel mixer", especially using the white balance picker.  Or, even easier, the Auto White Balance filter.

Not sure which video, but it would be a good idea to include how to save or export the changes.

Keep up the good work, and thanks for sharing these.

Hi Simon,

I'm pleased to see, that the "Affinity Family" is still growing.

:)

Welcome!

Ciao Jack

Affinity Jack

Video-Tutorials on YouTube in German with English Subtitles

Link to my YouTube-Channel: AFFINITY JACK

Author in the team of www.affinitytutorials.de, the website all about Affinity Photo & Affinity Designer

Thank you to all of you who replied. It is always a pleasure to get positive feedback. DonatoF - very good points and while I've just done the overview video for the Solid Foundations series I think I'll go back & mention the splash screen. So thanks for the suggestion.

Yes; it is a large undertaking so at the moment I'm leaning towards the idea of multiple smaller courses that concentrate on specifics. So a foundations course which is what I'm working on at the moment. Then a raw processing course - not everyone uses raw but those that do deserve a fuller explanation. Maybe a toolbox course covering things like artistic effects, high & low key effects & so on. There's also scope for more advanced topics like beauty techniques, restoring old photos using multiple layer masks & so on. Let's face it; there's no shortage of topics with what is already a pretty rich feature set.

Breaking things up into smaller courses at a lower price point means people can get what they want rather than having to fork out good money on a course they only need part of. It also means that, with feedback, I can be more responsive to people's needs.

Thanks! Nice to have a standard workflow for image processing? Is this the general accepted sequence, by the way, or just your own best practice?

Affinity Photo - Affinity Designer - Affinity Publisher | macOS Sonoma (14.2) on 16GB MBP14 2021 with 2.4 versions

Hi RNKLN. No; it's not general accepted practice, just a practice I advocate with reasons that work more often than not. For example, setting the dark and light sometimes results in colors being more intense as they get darker, so I prefer to do this before color balance work. In the past when I've advocated this approach I'll also mention when color balancing that it can also change the brightness so going back and tweaking the light and dark might be a good idea. Or that you should rotate before you crop because doing so afterwards will mean you'll just have to crop again and lose more of your picture than you intended.

I know that if I suggest a way of doing things there will be another point of view - if nothing else because no one approach fits every photo. But if I'm teaching a course for beginners, one of the worst feelings is to encounter a large program like Affinity Photo with no idea about what to do first. There are other approaches like fixing the biggest problem first, then the next biggest & so on but that's a more advanced approach which I'd suggest further down the learning route.

Although watched a lot of tutorials and doing what is done in the video step by step, these video's are very welcome. Some real basic things I now see in your video's.. before often wondering why something went wrong one time, and good another.. This is a wonderful learning way for me. Thank you, seeing out for the next ones:)

Hi PhotoNewbie. Yes, I'll be posting here, along with anywhere I can think of where Affinity Photo users hang out. But I'll post & update on this thread or start just one more thread with an appropriate title since I don't like it on other forums for other software when people start all manner of new threads to spam their product.

Used PS LR and now AP this appears to be the best, one can always learn even been doing it for many years, wonder how much of this one I will regularly use, a lot more than the others, simply because of yours and other tutorials, its far to much hard work to read manuals.

Found your first three tutorials extremely simple to follow, and now waiting for the next ones

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, I thought I'd give a quick update on the course progress because I'm getting quite a few people asking when it will be ready. I'm aiming for a mid/late March release, although if it goes beyond that it's because I want to take enough time to get it right. I will make announcements on this forum when it's ready. But thank you very much for your interest; it's very encouraging.