You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Leading causes text NOT to center vertically!

Vosje

Hello there appears to be a bug in V2 which is NOT present in V1, I currently have both versions installed. If you create a text frame and apply leading OTHER THAN auto, it won't center vertically! When I copied the very same text frame into V1, the text DID center vertically immediately by itself (as in, I haven't changed a single setting, just pressed ctrl+v).

image.jpeg.a67d978ffb58b6ffac7227dc6cb904cf.jpeg

Bottom align also seems to be affected and doesn't actually align to bottom at all:

image.jpeg.1615839196ceaaeb66406745355dd738.jpeg

I hope this can be fixed ASAP!

14 minutes ago, Vosje said:

I hope this can be fixed ASAP!

Works as expected for me in v2. Aligned to baseline perhaps? Otherwise please upload your v2 document here.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

Hi @joe_l, thanks for your reaction, strange that it does work for you... I'm not sure exactly where that "align to baseline" setting is located, if it's not turned on by default, I haven't activated it. Here's my document for you, what I see is exactly as on my first picture (where the text is closer to top, not in the middle).

EDIT: I had an idea that maybe it depends on the font, here I used Balsamiq Sans from Google, but other fonts are also not aligned in the middle...

verticalalign.afpub

2 minutes ago, Vosje said:

Here's my document for you, what I see is exactly as on my first picture (where the text is closer to top, not in the middle).

You use a Leading Override of 18 pt (Character Panel), whereas your paragraph leading is 12,393 pt. I do not know what leading you need. 18 or 12,393? If 18, change it too to 18 in Paragraph panel or use Auto in Character panel if you want 12.393.

Baseline Grid: See icon at top toolbar. An A on blue lines. In addition to this, Align to baseline has to be checked in your text style.

----------
Windows 10 / 11, Complete Suite Retail and Beta

Ok, changing paragraph leading does the trick, BUT, I don't think it's a proper behaviour. I don't even normally look at the paragraph settings for a single line of text so it's set to default, of course you shouldn't have to change all the possible leading settings that exist somewhere in the app to have the text align in the middle. Also, it does work perfectly fine in v1 (without changing anything in Paragraph setting).

3 hours ago, Vosje said:

I don't even normally look at the paragraph settings for a single line of text

But you don't have a single line of text. You have 2 or 3 lines.

And you don't need to change all possible leading settings, but you do need to understand that the setting in the Character panel is not Leading. It is Leading Override, and as an override it takes precedence over the other setting.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

But you don't have a single line of text. You have 2 or 3 lines.

Ok, technically it's not because it's restricted by the size of my text frame but that doesn't even matter. Even ONE WORD will not be centered vertically by V2 and I hope that you will agree that you cannot call one word a paragraph so it makes no sence whatsoever to use paragraph settings for just one single word. And I never had to because, clearly, V1 handles this differently. So, in your eyes, what is a correct behaviour, V1 giving my leading override setting a priority AND centering my text despite default paragraph settings OR V2 completely ignoring my leading override and giving default paragraph settings a priority?

1 hour ago, tudor said:

I did some testing, it looks like the vertical centering does have a glitch, and it occurs even with the leading set to default (in both v1 and v2). Some particular leading values will trigger the bug immediately.

The issue (if I remember prior discussions) has to do with the required padding between the text and the shape. Any non-square shape can cause this, I think. I am not sure whether it is viewed as a bug.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

3 hours ago, Vosje said:

Wow, @tudor, thank you very much for this demonstration! That looks really odd. 🤔

@tudor

The first t in that and the r in bigger would need to be outside the ellipse as it gets narrower.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff
1 hour ago, Vosje said:

Bumping this in hope that somebody will evaluate this. @NathanC, I saw that you've replied to a lot of old threads, maybe you could also check this issue out? Thanks in advance!

After opening your sample file I am seeing a slight difference in relation to the vertical alignment of the text within the ellipse shape between V1 and V2, though as @walt.farrellmentioned is this not caused by the padding/boundary between the shape and text?

Hi @NathanC, so you mean that you're not seeing the obvious - huge - difference between v1 and v2 like in my very first screenshot? This one?

image.jpeg.a67d978ffb58b6ffac7227dc6cb904cf.jpeg

This is the way I see the text in v1 (smaller scaled oval on the left ) and v2 (larger oval on the right). Obviously this difference is not *slight* to me. 🤔 I wouldn't call the text that I see in v2 vertically aligned.

• Staff
30 minutes ago, Vosje said:

so you mean that you're not seeing the obvious - huge - difference between v1 and v2 like in my very first screenshot

I've revised my original post 🙂

I've gone ahead and logged this with the developers to pass judgement since there is a difference between V1 and V2 on a layer with identical settings.

I confirm the poor alignment on the bottom of the form.

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Increasing the Leading Override on Ellipse Shape text causes the text to no longer honour vertical alignment rule " (REF: AFB-6979 ) has been fixed by the developers in internal build 2.1.0.1713
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.